Hudson 212 Throttle Linkage

I am looking for a complete throttle linkage from firewall to the carburetor for a 1941 and up splasher engine connecting to a Carter 501s carb. I just changed from a 1 barrel carb and 1939 intake to a 2 barrel carb and 1941 aluminum intake and my throttle linkage doesn't work anymore. I currently have no linkage to work with and this is the last piece I need to get this running. If anyone can help please let me know.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    This may be of no help, but...
    When I changed from my pre-War 2 bbl. carb to the postwar 2 bbl. carb, the linkage on my Terraplane didn't work with the cross-shaft on the new carb.  So I removed the cross-shaft (not sure what it's called) from my old carb and put it in to the new carb.  Now my old linkage (on the firewall) worked with my old cross-shaft (in my new carb).
  • I'll have to look into that. Help me get that straight, did you change the cross shaft on the carburetor itself? Val suggested that I look for a 1939 carburetor that is equipped with a two barrel. If any one has one of these please let me know. I need the bell crank and the two rods that goes to the carb and the other one that goes the throttle linkage on the firewall. He thinks and I agree keeping all 1939 would be the way to go and that everything will work. If anyone can help me out please let me know. Thank you Jon for the comment.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    To answer your question: yes, I removed the cross-shafts from both carbs and then inserted the shaft from my old carb into the new one.  A perfect fit since the new carb was just a newer version of the old.  However, now that I look at your original post, you said you're changing from a one-barrel to a two-barrel.  The cross shafts wouldn't be interchangeable.  A thousand pardons!

However, it IS possibly that the linkage for 1939 Hudsons might work with both one- and two-barrel carbs.  In that case, you might look for a junked 1939 TWO-barrel carb and transplant the cross-shaft from that, into your new postwar two-barrel carb.  

Or, here's a long shot: there's a brand new cross-shaft for sale right now for a "1937-40 Hudson Terraplane".  Looks like it fits a two-barrel.  Might work, at at $7.95 + shipping, not a big gamble.

https://www.ebay.com/p/NOS-Carter-Carburetor-Throttle-Shaft-Lever-1937-1938-1939-40-Hudson-Terraplane/22017304089?iid=153260894835&chn=ps
  • OK Jon, thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully someone comes through with the linkage.
  • allan
    allan Member
    thank you Jon, just purchased for my 40's conversion to 501S.