1928 Essex wood bows information

Jay_G
Jay_G Expert Adviser
I am working on my 1928 Essex Phaeton I purchased from Roy Marks. This was bodied by Holden in Australia. The wood bows are not in the best of shape, in fact they are out of shape. So my question is are all the bows the same length? And is that length approximately 55 inches from center to center. I also need some right hand drive parts if any one has any.

Thanks Jay

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What parts do you need?
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    I am looking for a drag link, the ratchet mech for the parking brake, the clutch and brake pedal assembly, the zinc cast steering wheel hub, and the complete horn button assembly including the large plastic disk that covers where all the steering wheel controls would be. This seems to be quite different that the American with all the controls. I have located a picture of the horn assembly if that helps.

I am also looking for the parts that hold the windshield to the support columns including the adjustment nuts. But I assume these are the same as the American cars....I hope.

As for the rest it seems to be there including some of the seat and door cards material.

Thanks Jay
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I can do the drag link and probably the parking brake parts, plus the windscreen props. Can get a new alloy steering wheel boss made, but will need to know immediately, as the pattern is in the machine shop at the moment. $250, machined ready to fit. Horn button and centre is different from the l.h.d., with no centre controls. You will have to pay postage from New Zealand. you can email me at NZgeoffclark@xtra.co.nz but leave the capital NZ off the address, that is to foil the spambots. I must say again, contact me immediately if you want a new steering boss.
    Geoff
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    Message on the way. Thanks Jay
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Steering boss being machined next week. I had the pattern in the machine shop. Anybody else need one? If your 1928 Essex has the original one it is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Geoff
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    I second that! Mine has lost 1/4 of its structure already due to a large piece that fell off.

Jay
  • I too have a 1928 Essex phaeton , bodied by Smith and Waddington in Australia. My front hood bow needs replacing. The problem is that I don't have any rests for the hood to sit on when it is down. Don't suppose you know of any for sale? Here's my car.
  • I already have one of Geoff's aircraft grade aluminium steering wheel bosses, an excellent product and a very necessary upgrade.

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Jay
    I can supply a brake & clutch pedal assembly but freight ex New Zealand my be pricey  but I could probably combine them with any items you get from Geoff Clark. PM or email  me if you want to take this further. NZDavid@ websters.co.nz (leave off the leading NZ - there to foil the spambots)
    Dave Young
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Rog2
    I've seen the hood rests on eBay on eBay on a regular basis.
    Dave Young - 28 Essex Coupe
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Here are pics of the top header bow and the attachment points to the windshield pillars.  they are held in place with thumb screws.  Yes the square bolts that hold it in place are extra long......don't ask me why.  This is the way they did it back then.  I think you can see why I need new bows.  I have ordered some that fit a Model T.  They were $25 each and measured the correct dimensions.  How could you go wrong at that price? 

Jay