Starter button question

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
Has anyone ever connected a relay from the ignition switch to the starter button on a Stepdown? The reason I ask is because I have two starter buttons on my car, one on the dash and one under the hood. I simply switch the wires around depending on which button I want to use. I use the one under the hood to help with setting the timing, checking compression, etc. It works every time. On the other hand, the button that is connected to the ignition switch is some timey. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It acts like its not sending enough power directly from the battery to the starter through the ignition switch. I've switched them around and get the same result regardless of which button I use. I have to use the button under the hood to crank the car when the one on the dash fails to do so. I am thinking a relay between the ignition switch and the dash button may increase the voltage going to that button, much the same way as the button under the hood gets its power directly from the battery. Just thinking.....

Comments

• I'm a little confused - hudsons had a cranking button on the dash and on the starter motor as standard to assist the mechanic -, however only the key set to on would fire the engine - mine is a 1936 - I don't understand what you're trying to achieve
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The button under the hood connects the battery directly to the starter.

The ignition key operates the starter solenoid/relay, current flows from the battery into the starter via the solenoid, none of that current flows through the ignition switch.

If the starter sometimes doesn’t crank from the key things to check are dodgy connections, dodgy ignition switch, dodgy solenoid.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    ken1962 said:

I'm a little confused - hudsons had a cranking button on the dash and on the starter motor as standard to assist the mechanic -, however only the key set to on would fire the engine - mine is a 1936 - I don't understand what you're trying to achieve

The starter button under the hood is a spare dash starter. I ran a wire straight from the battery to one terminal (which would normally be attached to the wire from the ignition switch) and the other wire goes straight to the starter solenoid. When I want to switch to the interior dash button, I just switch the wires going to the solenoid from both buttons. This saves me a few steps when turning the engine over. The car will not crank unless the key is switched on, regardless of which starter button I use. My question was why was the button that I installed under the hood more reliable that the regular starter button.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    The reason I’m able to switch the solenoid wires so easily is because I have a high speed Chevy starter on the car. Bob, I will recheck my wiring connections from the ignition switch to the interior starter button and see what happens. Thanks
  • The starter solenoid is a device that uses a low current draw to pull in a coil which makes the high current connection to the starter. The low current side is the power from the ignition switch, thru your starter button ( normally open) to the solenoid to pull in the coil. There is no reason to disconnect one starter button to use the other starter button. They are both normally open switches and would not interfere with each other. If one works and the other doesn't, that would indicate high internal resistance, meaning it should be replaced. This assumes all connections are good.