Adjusting Valves?

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Can someone share with me a procedure to adjust my 37 Hudson’s 6cyl engine, 212ci Valves?

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    email me at xxxcramerlp@roadrunner.com without the xxx and I'll email ya a chart
  • Uncle Josh
    I heard from Val and sent him the info, haven't heard from BigSky
  • Thank you Uncle Josh
  • Uncle Josh
    I think I'm emailing BigSky under an assumed name, or the other way around.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Big Sky, I'll assume that Unca Josh gave you the particulars on how to adjust the valves.

Incidentally, I've always adjusted them with the engine running. It's not that tricky, the little wrenches and the thickness gauge keep going up and down but you can control them, and you don't have to keep turning the engine by hand to find the magic spot where the cam lobe is all the way down. However, a lot of little droplets of oil are flying around as you're doing this, so don't wear your best tux.

Also (and Josh probably suggested this) you first need to remove the passenger's side front tire and the inner fender (fairly simple, just a few bolts) which will give you access to the valve chamber by scrunching down within the front right fender of the car. Then remove the valve covers (again, pretty simple). I really don't know any other way to access the valves, but maybe someone else does!
  • Uncle Josh
    Well Jon, you could pull the engine.  Makes it a lot easier.  HA