37 terraplane power brake conversion

has any one put a Power brake unit in a 37 Hudson terraplane with drums all Around? If you did what did you use and what did you need to adjust to get it in

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    I put a GM Firewall Power Booster on my '37 with a Swing Pedal with 4wheel Drums. However, I upgraded the small '37 brakes with large Hornet 11x 2 1/4" Brakes which practically interchange. It may benefit you to install large Hornet/Commodore Brakes instead of a Booster....

The Booster & Swing Pedal was easy by figuring the location snd make a Template of bolt pattern. Drill 4 holes then hole saw a center hole for the Pushrod, then bolt the two halfs together (Booster outside firewall & Swing pedal Inside). The firewall is strong but I added a short brace above the pedal assy too. I was going to put Discs on but it stops so well that I scrapped that idea.....
  • Thanks, Looking into now.

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Send pictures 
  • Ol racer
    Here is a picture of the GM P/Booster when I was restoring my'37 a few Yrs ago
  • getley said:
    has any one put a Power brake unit in a 37 Hudson terraplane with drums all Around? If you did what did you use and what did you need to adjust to get it in
    No, but I did it to a DJ5 Postal Jeep. I started by finding a Power Brake master cylinder and booster with the same piston bore diameter as the stock Jeep unit. As I recall it ended up matching a late 70's Chevrolet ElCamino.

The mounting as described above and a couple plumbing changes were very easy and produced outstanding results. Very worthwhile upgrade.
  • Ol Racer, what a great picture!  I wanna visit your garage.
  • Ol racer
    Ol Racer, what a great picture!  I wanna visit your garage.
    Thank You !