Timing has moved

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I made a compression whistle that I'm actually proud of. When the whistle stopped blowing indicating that #1 piston was at TDC, the long timing mark on the flywheel was about three marks above the timing marker. I am assuming that I must have moved the oil pump gear a notch or two to create this problem. I have read in the repair manual how to move the oil pump a notch to remedy this situation, but I don't understand which way to turn the gear to get TDC mark to line up with timing marker. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    In addition, the repair manual refers to Aligning Tool I-2794. I'm pretty sure that (1) such a tool is hard to find in this day and time and (2) there is a substitute method for shifting the oil pump gear to the correct notch. Any help with (2) is what I'm really interested in....
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The relationship between the flywheel timing marks and TDC number 1 & 6 is fixed, bolted solid, immovable, immutable, your whistle only lets you know that you are on the compression stroke. You are at TDC when the TDC flywheel marks line up with the pointer.
  • Bob Ward is 100% correct. Moving the oil pump gear will only move the spark event.
  • As Bob Ward said, the flywheel timing is fixed, but you can play with the spark timing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can check it with a timing light while moving the spark distribution cap / oil pump gear if I do remember.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Thanks fellas.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    The Kent Moore distributor alignment tool is numbered J-2794 (I have an original one). I suspect most people know this, but perhaps it bears repeating in that Gert Kristiansen of Salt Lake City, UT use to or may still make a reproduction of the KM J-2794 which I also have (KM version is made of steel, Gert's is aluminum and is a bit longer).
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    Yes I still make those and also the stepdown center-point steering bushing to replace the needle bearings (which were never that good even new) - if the pin is good a bushing is all you should need. You can reach me at: HET gtkristi@comcast.net each part is $40 plus shipping. (remove the HET for my email). Thank you, Gert Kristiansen
    HET member since March 1968.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Getting OT here but I entirely agree with Gert, using a needle roller bearing on the centre steering pin was not good design. A plain bronze or steel bush would have had a much better service life.