Horn question

Richie
Richie Senior Contributor
Hi again guys, getting things fixed one at a time, but a little progress is good. The 51 SS horn does not work from the steering wheel but will work with a jumper wire. The wire coming out of the bottom of the steering column is hot all the time. Not sure how to get the center horn cap off the steering wheel. I tried gently to push in and turn left but no luck. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Richie.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The wire from the horn button is supposed to be ground or open.  That wire should ground the horn relay when the horn button is pushed. If the wire has voltage there is a short to a power source.  
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Not quite right! The relay coil is connected to the battery, and the other side of the coil goes up to the horn button, which provides a ground, and this energises the relay coil, which closes the contacts, which provide voltage to the horn. Hence when you put a volt meter on the horn wire it will show voltage (except when the button grounds the wire). That is why when the wire rubs through somewhere the horn will sound.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    This diagram matches the Hudson horn activation schematic 
  • Richie
    Thanks Geoff and Glowplug. With that info, it looks like my problem might be at the horn switch not grounding properly at the steering wheel. I still need to know how to remove the center cap from the steering wheel without damaging it. Thanks for you replies. Richie.
  • Not sure about a '51; this is '53>>
    https://goo.gl/photos/nHZqb8n2ardPXFS37
  • Richie
    Thanks Richard D. That is a bit different than what I have though. Richie
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Richie, depress the horn button and turn left/counter clockwise aprox 3/4 inch and button will be "unlatched" I have had good luck getting "traction" using one of those rubber jar lid "helpers". DON'T try to pry button off. Broken ones appear on ebay quite often. Good only for show case items.
  • Richie
    Hi Ric West IN, this morning I said to myself that it must turn left. In my three manuals it tells you everything you want to know about the horns "except" how to get the button off. I put some surgical gloves, pushed down on the button and twisted about as hard as I could and it turned left. You are right about needing traction. I cleaned the contact ring and wire end and now my horn works. Thanks again Ric. Richie.