Wiper motors

Does anybody rebuild wiper motors?

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    If you have access to a recently published Hemming's Motor News you should be able to find several Trico vacuum motor rebuilders advertising their services.
  • I contacted two companies that had adds in Hemmings. Ficken only does prewar now and the other only rebuilt electric wiper motors. I have also tried the gentleman in Indiana that does pressure wiper motors. I gave him some new gaskets but he wasn't able to help.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator

The vacuum wiper motors can be rebuilt to run like new except when the pot metal body is warped, which sometimes happens. But even when everything's restored, the wiper will still slow down on hills unless you have an external vacuum source, such as a dual-action fuel pump.

Actually, you could check your linkages to make sure they work, unimpeded. Lube them up while you're at it. As the wiper motor, you can get some brake fluid or neatsfoot oil in them to lubricate the leather seal on the paddle; this sometimes does wonders. And, with the engine running, check the rubber vacuum hose (detach at the wiper motor) and check for decent vacuum there.

Actually, Ficken's webpage indicates he specializes in postwar, not pre-war. Although it looks like he rebuilds pre-war models on a case by case basis.

There's also a place called Clean Sweep, though I cannot find an up to date webpage for them, so they may be out of business. (541) 420-9098

If you give up on vacuum, you can always switch to aftermarket electric. Here's a company https://newportwipers.com/product/1937-39-hudson/#wiper-motor which makes 6-volt electric wiper motors for 1937-54 Hudsons, which (they say) will bolt in as the original motor does, and which fits the original linkages. Price is about $229. The only hitch: these are 12 volt wipers and require a power inverter ($149) to change your car's 6 volts to 12.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited January 2019
    Check out this website: www.rebuildingtricowipers.com I have only good reports of his work. Plan to send in mine in the next few months.