OIl in manifold

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I recently purchased a manifold for a 55/56 single carburetor setup. When I got it home, I noticed that it had a large amount of oil or grease inside the intake manifold ports and rust in the exhaust ports. The rust I expected, but the excessive oil has caused me to wonder what could have caused that in its previous life. The game plan, since the wife is on my back about burning some brush that I have piled up in my yard, is to set the brush on fire and put the manifold on top it and hopefully burn out this oil. Any input as to cause and cure will be appreciated.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Just wash it out with degreaser.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Actually Geoff, the brush fire did a real good job. While I'm on the subject, the heat damper in the exhaust manifold is rusted tight in the open position. I've read on previous posts that if you don't live in a cold climate (which for the most part I don't), then one is better off just cutting that thing out or otherwise removing it. I'm inclined to just to leave it in there in its frozen position. I'm pretty sure that short of taking a sledge hammer to it, that thing is not going to move. Comments?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You are right on the button, leave it there, as is.
  • I should have joined you in the brush-fire party to burn out a couple of glass pacs I have that could use it! We used to have those kinda parties back in the day. Oh, and alcohol would most likely be involved!...k
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    So the alky makes the fire hotter?
  • Brush fire to clean a little grease? That's akin to using a bazooka as a flyswatter, no?
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    It was only a few branches from three rose bushes. Sheesh.....