Electric Power steering

charles4d
charles4d Expert Adviser
 E.P.S. Has anybody  put one in their car was it hard, what type of vechial was it out of, the cost and how's it working for you pictures  also?

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    I put Electric Power Steering on my '51 Stepdown a year ago. I posted how I dit it back then. It was a simple conversion for me. Basically I measured the motor assy then figured where I wanted to install then cut the column & outer tube. I bought a oyota Prius Unit on E Bay an

d two Borgeson couplers to connect upper & lower shaft.

It can be rotated behind dash if desired and needs little additional support other then Hudson brackets. The Unit requires a small Controller about size of old voltage regulator then thre wires run to Ign, Batt, and Grd. Everyone that drove the car marveled how EZ it steers compared to a regular Stepdown.
    The more difficult part was bridging the Motor for the Shift Rod and hiding the Horn Wire to utilize the Hudson Steering Wheel. I could not rotate the Motor behind dash because of a GM Power Booster & Swing Pedal previously installed.

The Conversion can be retro-fit onto any car. I have about $175 invested but you can buy everything you need from Summit or Jegs for $1800=/- but still need to do the labor anyway.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Ol racer said:

FYI
    I put Electric Power Steering on my '51 Stepdown a year ago. I posted how I dit it back then. It was a simple conversion for me. Basically I measured the motor assy then figured where I wanted to install then cut the column & outer tube. I bought a oyota Prius Unit on E Bay an

d two Borgeson couplers to connect upper & lower shaft.

It can be rotated behind dash if desired and needs little additional support other then Hudson brackets. The Unit requires a small Controller about size of old voltage regulator then thre wires run to Ign, Batt, and Grd. Everyone that drove the car marveled how EZ it steers compared to a regular Stepdown.
    The more difficult part was bridging the Motor for the Shift Rod and hiding the Horn Wire to utilize the Hudson Steering Wheel. I could not rotate the Motor behind dash because of a GM Power Booster & Swing Pedal previously installed. A nice thing if ever failed (doubtful) it simply reverts back to Manual steering.....

The Conversion can be retro-fit onto any car. I have about $175 invested but you can buy everything you need from Summit or Jegs for $1800=/- but still need to do the labor anyway.