Terraplane water jacket

5433HET
5433HET Expert Adviser
edited December 2018 in HUDSON
I removed the water jacket on my '32 ET. It was repaired many times with solder over the years and so i'm replacing it with a NORS Dorman # WJ45. Any one know how many years interchange? Have users found modifying the small inner jacket holes improves cooling? Im cleaning the coolant passage ways while this is off, and retapping the threads, using new bolts with never seize lube.  Any other advice? 

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The bolt pattern is the same for all splasher 6 engines from 32 to 47. 32 to 35 had the water outlet coming out the bottom, 36 to 47 had a top outlet.
    Hudson made tens of thousands of water jackets over the years all with pretty much the same combination of large and small holes, the system must have worked OK. If its not broken don't fix it.
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Thanks for that info Bob. I would think with modern antifreeze  the rust and pinholes that plagued these jackets will no longer be an issue.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    Scott.
    For reference, from the 1930-39 Master Parts & Interchangeability Books.
    It appears to be unique.
    I notice in your pictures the stamping of the top surface in the area of the inlet nozzle is slightly different.
    Could be thats all it is, who knows.
    Tom
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Tom, it could be that my replacement is aftermarket, and thus not exactly like OEM.  And what is Hudson E?  Some odd listings, the parts books are full of more questions than answers! 
  • 35 Terraplane
    Scott,
    Per our call.
    The attached shows the rear engine support the same for 32-36.
    There is no graphic for these parts numbers.
    Tom

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    edited December 2018
    Maybe the Hudson E stands for Essex ,earlier model or eight
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    I'm thinking the Hudson E for 1933 is the Super Six, only made that year and was essentially a rebadged '32 Essex, including updraft carb and old chassis. 
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    It looks like Dorman have made a 'one size fits all' water jacket to which they could attach either a bottom outlet (up to 35) or a top outlet (36 to end).
    5433HET said:

Tom, it could be that my replacement is aftermarket, and thus not exactly like OEM.  And what is Hudson E?  Some odd listings, the parts books are full of more questions than answers! 

• 35 Terraplane
    Bob
    Now that you point that out, sure does look that way.
  • I have changed the water bores in my 33 Terraplane cylinder head so that water is directed towards cylinder6, in addition a water pump wing with 6 wings, no more problems with hot engine.
  • 5433HET
    5433HET Expert Adviser
    Thanks,  did you change your fan as well?
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    TAKE THE NEW ONE TO YOUR PLATER AND HAVE HIM COPPER PLATE A FEW TIMES IT WILL SLOW THE RUST DOWN IT SHOULD NEVER WEAR OUT EVER AGAIN