Electrical question please

Richie
Richie Senior Contributor
Hi again guys, I have lots of small repairs to make and am addressing them one at a time, all your help is appreciated very much. My next problem is no stop lights, all other lights work. New stop light switch on M/C and have power to and from that switch when brake is applied. Looking at the electrical diagram the wires go thru the turn signal switch, could that be the cause? Thanks once again. Richie. (1951 super series)

Comments

• Richie
    Hi Ken, my lights are exactly the way you described them in the 48-51 cars. The wire harness for the stop/tail lights runs from the trunk pass side up into the body and goes to the front pass side pillar and comes down under the glove box and over to a double connector that goes up to the turn signal switch. The brake light wire is green with black marks. I will double check to make sure that I'm looking at the correct wire. Thanks Ken. Richie
  • Richie
    Ken U-Tx said:

If your car is a 1951, then your car should have a three wire turn-signal switch, like the 48-50 models. On the 48-51 cars, the stop light circuit uses separate bulbs from the turn-signal circuit, as there are two bulbs per tail-light housing. The stop light wire does not go through the turn signal switch on these 48-51 cars. You must be looking at the wiring diagram for the 1952-54 models which use a 6 wire turn signal switch, and a single dual filament bulb in each tail-light housing. Check wiring from the stoplight switch to the under dash area, it should have a bullet connector going from under the dash , up the driver's side windshield pillar, over the left side doors and into the trunk where it splits to left and right stoplights. Check that the sockets are in good shape, not corroded and getting a good ground. Check that the spring loaded contacts are not burnt or pitted badly, and that the springs are pushing the contacts into the bulb contacts. Sometimes the contact springs will short to the ground by touching the metal socket inside walls.

Ken, I stand corrected, there are two wire harnesses from the trunk, one on each side of the trunk that go to the front. The bottom light is turn signal with one wire and the top light is tail/stop light with two wires. I will get under the dash on the drivers side tomorrow and see if I can find bullet connector. The turn signal switch is a three wire, just like you said.