'53 Hornet Gas Tank Fill Issue?

hey guys - here's a problem i haven't had before - i gas up my hudson at shorter intervals than a modern car, as i'm trouble shooting a bunch of stuff, and this gives me accurate mpgs - i just did a 100+ miles run today, and when i gassed up after the final 37 miles, my tank would only take 1 gallon - i doubt i'm getting 37 mpg., so i can't figure out what's going on here? any advise or info would be most appreciated - thanks for looking!

Comments

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Float  might be sticking in the tank ?
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Check the gas tank vent. If restricted or plugged will create an air lock . Tank won't accept any more fuel once the fuel reaches top of filler pipe entrance. (Hope that makes sense)Been a long day!!! :)
  • the fuel gauge is reading full throughout - could the float have disengaged and blocked the filler tube?

i see part of a tube, under the rear of the hornet, by the filler tube - if this is the breather tube, how do i check it?

also, i just gassed it up 10 gallons prior, why would this problem suddenly occur?

thanks again
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I'll go with the plugged vent hose. It's a bugger to get to but replace it. The float mechanism is probably jammed with crap, in fact, the whole tank probably has crap in it.
    If you really want to fix it, you'll have to drop the tank and use my tank cleaning procedure, which includes a new sender. email me if you want the procedure at
    xxxcramerlp@roadrunner.com w/o the xxx
  • joe53HH
    joe53HH Expert Adviser
    The tank on my 53 has a baffle in the middle that separates the side with the sending unit from the other side that has the fill neck and vent. A sending unit problem?
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Does your gas station have one of those vent sealer nozzles on the gas hose ,like they have in California ?
    They seal the gas tank intake, which causes the tank not to vent correctly. Had this problem in California with the gas pump shutting off when the tank wasn't full. We don't have those in my area of Nevada, had no problems.
  • thanks - gauge gets lower the more i drive - i felt the vent hose and i wasn't collasped - i know the type of nozzles you mention, but this was an old fashioned nozzle
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The fuel tank has baffles in the tank which restrict the flow of gas during filling. but the type of problem you are experiencing is as stated ... a restriction in the venting system. The attached picture (complements of Kerry Dancy) shows the vent line which goes over the top of the frame rail (orange line, red arrow pointing the area that is connected by a rubber hose) The yellow arrow points to the vent valve that is in the top of the tank. If this flapper valve is stuck closed the tank will not fill properly.

• this very helpful - perhaps i can shoot some penetrating oil into the valve to free it?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    My suggestion is to assure the gasoline level in the tank is lower than 3/4 and then remove the rubber hose at the valve inlet.  Take a can of Brake clean with a plastic spray wand long enough to reach into the chamber and spray a bunch of the cleaner into the chamber. That should remove the varnish and allow the valve to operate.  Good Luck