Replacement Exhaust Gasket for '53 Hornet - Info Needed

hi - i have looked at the hudson parts guys various sites and i can't seem to find this exhaust gasket - photo attached

- this gasket is thick, and it has a leak!

- any info would be most appreciated

- thanks for looking

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Try http://catalog.remflex.com they carry some universal flange gaskets and plain sheets.  They have Hudson 6 intake/exhaust gaskets as well.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Suggest look underneath the Exh Manifold for any cracks. If none, the Gasket is a pretty common Universal Gasket that any local muffler Shop should have hanging on a Hook if unavailable at your local Auto Store. Suggest measure across the Studs probably 3 1/4" - 3 1/2" with a 2" hole then go to the Auto Store. Maybe buy two because the pipe flange may tilt a little...Cost vary $5 +/-.... If cant find contact Randy Maas 21st Century Hudson or Dale Cooper.

• thanks - i'm going to try to pull it out to get a replacement - it is thick like a "donut"
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    No,
    Its Flat like other 6 Cyl Cars and should be available anywhere but be sure of the measurements. (I was just best guessing looking at mine). I suggested two gaskets because sometimes the manifold flange and pipe flange has a slight gap... Some Gasket Stud holes are elongated too slide slightly.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    Take the gasket to NAPA they can match it. Forget the others like Autozone they only know what the computer tells them. I took the exhaust gasket from my 15 (which would have been on the hook in the 1970s) in to 4 different places only NAPA was willing to match it up. Turns out the exhaust gaskets for a 1917 Hudson 6-40 are the same as the gaskets for a 1933 - 1973 jeep. Yes, I know jeep was not around in 1933. They only had one in stock and I needed 6 they had to order them. Seems what was on off the shelf in 1970s is no longer on the shelf in quantity.
    Jay