Replacement Radiator for 1946 Super Six

Can anyone offer a suggestion for sources for new replacement radiators for 46-47 Hudsons? I realize they may have to be custom built, but can't seem to find any information. I have already had the original repaired once and am going to use stop leak, but would like to have an alternative for the future. I just don't want to rely on a 70 year old radiator to hold up in the long run. Thanks.

Comments

• parkerm
    parkerm Expert Adviser
    Try these guys if you want to rebuild your Hudson radiator. Hudson Radiators Product Description The Brassworks restores or fabricates Hudson Radiators and have built 1913, 1915, 1916, 1930, 1931, 1935, 1941, & 1951 Hudsons. Please contact us directly to discuss your Hudson radiator restoration or radiator fabrication. The Brassworks mailing address is: The Brassworks 500 Linne Road - Unit I Paso Robles, CA 93446 Telephone 805-239-2501 Facsimile 805-239-2545 Email sales@thebrassworks.net Hours of operation are from 8:30AM-4:30PM PST. Saturdays by appointment.
  • The brass works built a new radiator for my 1929 Essex and did an outstanding job. Very well done. Easy to work with.
  • 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    You may wish to check with a local shop about having what you have re cored. I have had this done for both my cars at Fort Wayne Radiator here in Indiana. Excellent work.
  • Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer your suggestions.
  • Where are you located? I have NOS Hudson for 46 6 cyl. But I don’t like to ship.
  • In Weatherford, TX 76087, 15 miles west of Fort Worth.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2018
    I hope I'm not hijacking this topic, but here's a company that makes radiators for the StepDowns, 1948-53.  Price is $399.   https://www.autocityclassic.com/1948-1954/1948-1953-hudson-aluminum-radiator-with-hoses-clamps-sl-284-at-hud/

This is an aluminum radiator. Stamped original style tanks for a radiator that looks like it belongs in your car.

Bolts into cores support. The center bottom bolt of core support will need to be cut at the nut level to allow for clearance. That's it - no drilling needed! Comes with hoses and clamps plus built-in transmission cooler for updated transmissions.

2-1 1/8" High Flow, High Capacity Tubes For Maximum Cooling

1 1/2" Inlet and 1 3/4" Outlet

Core size: 22 ½'' Wide, 19 ¼'' Tall, 2 ½'' Thick                                       
    Over all size: (Widest Points) 26 ½'' Wide, 26 ¼'' Tall, 3'' Thick

This radiator is also available "black coated" to look like original.  See note at bottom of the webpage linked above.

Thank you Keith Fullmer for providing this information!

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Ken, thanks for that reference! From what you hear from Steve, does this drop right into the car, or is additional work (or parts) needed from the car owner?
  • Thanks Ken. Looks like it even has the tab for the radiator support rod. Only thing it appears to perhaps not have is the about 2-3" wide block off piece on the front of the upper tank that helps prevent the incoming air from flowing over the top of the radiator instead of through it. I will do some measuring and talk to them.
  • I checked yesterday and I have 5 NOS radiators left. The boxes got wet over the years and fell apart, but they are NOS Hudson with all of the sheet metal baffles and center rod mount. $450.00
    Plus shipping. Www.bellinghamautosales.com

• Thanks. This doesn't look exactly like the radiator in the car. However, everything about the components on the car usually surprise me. I imagine there may be some variations in the configurations through these years while being interchangable. Pictures of the radiator in the car are included for comments as to whether or not it is the stock 1946 one.

• dr01a1940 said:

Thanks. This doesn't look exactly like the radiator in the car. However, everything about the components on the car usually surprise me. I imagine there may be some variations in the configurations through these years while being interchangable. Pictures of the radiator in the car are included for comments as to whether or not it is the stock 1946 one.

The radiator pictured here is an eight cylinder radiator. The bigger capacity is needed to keep the 308 cool.
  • That makes sense. Thanks for the information.