Migration of Forum site

PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 814
In the next few weeks this site and the main HET Club site will be moving home across to a new location within the Amazon cloud.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure when , depends on my availability amongst other things, but I wanted to post a "coming-soon" announcement now.

I'm as confident as I can be that the switch over will happen quite quickly, I've been using the Amazon site myself for the last couple of months running a copy of both sites over there and it's gone well.

From a functional perspective you will see no difference at all to the current look and feel of both sites however other plans are in place to improve that experience but more on that closer to the time.

When I do the switch the same links will work it's just the background engine that will be running from a different spot.

I will announce on here the actual date I expect to move across so people can be prepared if there is a little downtime experienced

Comments

• jjbubaboyjjbubaboy Posts: 755
    Thanks for the info, Paul.
    And great job, Thank you.
    Jeff
  • Jon BJon B Posts: 6,747
    I am in giddy anticipation of our new home in the cloud....

• PaulButlerPaulButler Posts: 814
    It's now moved however not as tidily as I'd liked. Our "old" provider didn't play nice so the switch-over didn't work as well as I'd liked.

However I have beavered away today and , hopefully, all access is now up and running.

Let me know if you spot anything on your journey around the forum
  • ESSX28-1ESSX28-1 Posts: 1,325
    Got this message on the HET Club forum some hours ago & it's still unreachable at 10.00 NZ time (4.00 pm New York time)

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache Server at www.hetclub.org Port 443
    Dave,

Check your bookmark it should point to https://www.hetclub.org. The older http protocol is not supported (yet).

Your browser was reaching the site and then saw something it didn't like for some reason so also try to clear your cache down as well and let me know how you get on
    Thanks Paul. Your link worked without any problem.
  • edited December 4
    My link is down also. I can get on through a back door by typing in hetclub and going to the club forum, then clicking on to the open forum, but I'm lazy and don't like typing much. I'll see if I can figure out how to shortcut this and find a shortcut like I used to have, where one click got me here. Computers. Scheese!
  • VicTor ZVicTor Z Posts: 574
    ? ? my photos in "Hudson's at Car Shows/Cruise-Ins" ???
    VicTor Z said:

? ? my photos in "Hudson's at Car Shows/Cruise-Ins" ???

They haven't been migrated across , I'll get that sorted shortly
    ;
    with photos , attachments etc. not working. I will look into what the issue is with this however for now be patient and accept the fact that you won't be able to do certain things for now
  • 33kc198933kc1989 Posts: 314
    I think they should merge together with different sub titles etc... Better coverage and wider audience.  I know it won’t happen but just a thought.   
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Posts: 3,566
    Looks like it survived, at least it didn't go up in a cloud like this one; http://bestanimations.com/Military/Explosions/explosion-animated-gif-40.gif
  • onerare39onerare39 Posts: 982
    Please be patient. Paul Butler and Aaron Cooper are working very hard to get things back in order after switching servers. Paul and Aaron devote an enormous amount of time keeping the club websites up and going. Essentially the website is in the shop having some work done and they are trying to keep it up and running at the same time. Oh, and they have real jobs and families and are doing this in their spare time. I think a bit if gratitude is in order. Thank You. John Forkner
  • You are very right, John.  I appreciate the heck out of this forum.  Hats off to them...k
    YES! A lot of Gratitude!
    Just so you are all aware. The issues that have been seen on here are being caused by what appear to be a number of factors with the version of the Operating system , PHP and Vanilla not wanting to play nicely together. I have spent the last few days doing a deep-dive into what is causing it and have come to the conclusion that my life is too short to try and fix it so I am going to migrate this site (and this site alone) to a new home on a different operating system at some stage over the weekend. The site will be down for about 30 minutes whilst I do that. I have tested ALL the functionality on the new site and can't find an issue with it. Because I had concentrated on the hetclub.org site testing on here wasn't complete otherwise I would have spotted the issues before, not that would have helped with the enforced move of course but ... So apologies to all on here but it will be back and running soon courtesy of hetclub.org on whose servers it is hosted
    Unfortunately the migration didn't happen this weekend , life and my sons' 21st birthday intervened. I'll be looking to sort it out sometime during this week , work and life not withstanding
    The site has now been migrated across into its final home and , as much as I am able to test, all the previous issues are now sorted.

However there are a number of pictures posted at the "old" site that need to come across still and I'll be working on moving those over the next couple of days
    Thank You ! Thank You ! Thank You ! Thank You ! Thank You ! Thank You !
  • Thanks Paul.
    Great bunch-O-Folks here this forum has turned into friends. Thanx for your part!

David
  • DocHublerDocHubler Posts: 977
    Well, can't seem to get a picture to post. Nothing happens.
    DocHubler said:

Well, can't seem to get a picture to post. Nothing happens.

Whilst I don't generally say "I give up" ,in this instance , for now, I give up ..

This site is driving me to drink! I migrate it , I test it , it works.

I send it live , I test it , it works.

Now it decides to not work .....

I have no idea why it is doing (or not in this case) what it is doing so I will need to investigate when I get some free time
    Test Post

Please note , a couple of posts from this morning will have been lost I'm afraid because I had to restore the forum back to a point from late last night. Nothing much I can do about that I'm afraid as we only back this up overnight so apologies to those that have posted here today because your post has gone
    A comment, NOT a grizzle! Now when I click on a posted link, it opens in the same tab as the forum. Previously it would have opened a new tab by default. I'm using Firefox 63.0.3
    That all being said, THANK YOU Paul for all the time & expertise you put in to keep us all in touch!!
    ESSX28-1 said:

A comment, NOT a grizzle! Now when I click on a posted link, it opens in the same tab as the forum. Previously it would have opened a new tab by default. I'm using Firefox 63.0.3
    That all being said, THANK YOU Paul for all the time & expertise you put in to keep us all in touch!!

Thanks for pointing it out. That is an add-on feature of Vanilla and I am finding that some of these don't like to play nice with the version of PHP we are using.

The Open Forum runs on freeware and whilst support for it is okay for things such as this getting a fix can take time so bear with me

• DocHublerDocHubler Posts: 977
    Paul, Thanks for your constant endeavors on this! Working for me now again. Whatever beverage you were driven to, it seems to be working. Suggest you seek more! LOL!
    ESSX28-1 said:

That's now working again :)
  • GlowplugGlowplug Posts: 1,571
    Paul- Thank you for all the energies you put into make this forum work. Your efforts are not lost on me and hopefully others will appreciate the dedicated support you provide! Merry Christmas
  • 33kc198933kc1989 Posts: 314
    Is it just me or after a reboot there seams more posts and different in a good way.