Fasteners for radiator hood lacing

What type of fasteners are used to attach the hood lacing around the radiator shell. The holes are a tad smaller than
1/4" in diameter, in the radiator shell. Rivets seem to be out of the question.

Comments

• They are called split rivets.
  • 54coupe - - I have split rivets in the cowl lacing and they are only 1/8" in diameter. The holes in the radiator shell are much larger, Just under 1/4" in diameter. Are split rivets original equipment parts for this assembly ? Thanks, Sach.
  • What year is your car? My 30's-50's Hudsons use drive screws on the cowl. The split rivets come in many sizes. My 20's and 30's cars use split rivets on the grille shell.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I think they are called biflocated rivets
  • They are called drives screws as 54 coupe indicated. They are available from Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa.
  • Hey All, my Essex is a '28 Super Six. It appears that what ever attaches the hood lacing to the radiator shell, should easily be removed if the radiator has to come out for any reason, because the lacing covers the grille shell attaching screws. Are these "drive screws" removable and then can be re-used ?
    barrysweet52 - what are these biflocated rivets you mentioned and are they different from regular split rivets ? Thanks, Sach
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    edited November 2018

See the pic. Is what I used on my 28 and are called bifocated (sp) rivets. Were readily available here down under.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    edited November 2018
    I wish I knew how to delete posts with errors in them!
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I know it's not original, but I use alloy pop rivets, with washers behind them. Much easier to install than split rivets, and easily drilled out if you want to remove them.
  • ernie28 - - Are those bifurcated rivets shown in your photo made of steel, brass or copper ? Thanks, Sach.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    They would be brass I imagine. I has SS ones also.