Is it possible to replace the windshield wiper cables?

I took the wiper motor off my 51Hornet for its 67 year servicing, and in doing so, I found that the passenger wiper cable is frayed nearly through where it goes around the pulley. It looks like it is down to three strands of wire and is not long for this world. Is there a way to replace the cable? Are there sources for a these? I'm not really sure what to do next, I notice the 51 service manual is silent on wipers and heaters.

RL

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Yes, and it was quite a bit of fun to do. The easy way would be to buy two new towers (they are left and right) If you can find a tower with the right length wires you would only need to buy one. You will notice that your vaccume drive is not centered on your firewall. When I did mine, I bought a set at a Hudson swap meet. Took my old ones off, tore them down (if you place a small punch on the underside of the shaft that connects to the wipers and hit it on a table it will push right out) and had them plated. When I reassembled the units, I tapped where the rivets were and used a small screw to keep the cable and round guide in place. Then put them back on my car. I am sure that there some folks like Dr. Doug Wildrick that will do them but they would be labor intensive.
  • How did you get the tower off the car? Is it accessible from below or do you go in through the firewall, once the tensioning gadget is removed?

On a related note, how do the washers work? The reason I ask is that today I found a mysterious T on the vacuum line ahead of the wiper motor, and the line snakes off into the firewall. There is a washer button in the center of the wiper control on the dash, but I don't have any other washer hardware on the car. I don't have a reservoir or any visible jets.

I can't imagine what else would use vacuum, and yet there is the vacuum line. I have seen online photos of Hudson towers and they seem to have a copper tube in the center. Are the wiper jets in the towers? I assume it was an option, and it seems like it was installed halfway on my car.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    If it is only around the tension pulley, then yes, you can repair the cable with a new section of braided cable. I cut the burred section out, and inserted a new section in, using electrical connectors to join the ends together. The cable must be braided, not straight like bicycle brake cables.
  • The wiper towers have a tiny screw on the side that comes out and you screw in the washer nozzles. I bought my nozzles on eBay. Trico washer nozzles. The glass jugs and mounting brackets are also on eBay. On the bulletin board of the HET trailer at Hershey someone had a complete washer kit for a Hudson for sale?
  • I took the wiper motor off my 51Hornet for its 67 year servicing, and in doing so, I found that the passenger wiper cable is frayed nearly through where it goes around the pulley. It looks like it is down to three strands of wire and is not long for this world. Is there a way to replace the cable? Are there sources for a these? I'm not really sure what to do next, I notice the 51 service manual is silent on wipers and heaters.

RL

Thats because in 1951 fraying cables weren't a problem. I've rebuilt and replaced cables on a number of these units. I can tell you this make SURE you have the exact length of cable measured out before splicing. Once it's cut the tension has to be exactly as it was when it was new. Also, check your pulley wheels. Many times a brass bushing is worn and it will cause problems for the cable. Replace the bushings if necessary.
  • So to move the previous question, how do the towers come off? A week ago, I wouldn't have bothered, but now that I know the system works, well that's different.

If worse comes to worse, I'll run a dummy cable with a tensioner to keep the motor under control, and run with just the driver's side working. Two weeks ago, I didn't think it worked at all.

Good to know about the washer jets, I'll look into finding some. Perhaps someone removed the reservoir in the distant past, I have no way of knowing. If someone has one, PM me, although it is a low priority, one more gadget is always fun.

• The tower comes off by unscrewing one bolt holding a 'U' shaped bracket under the tower on the inside part of the cowl. Before that you will need to relieve the tension on the wiper tensioners. This is done by pulling forward on the flat spring and then putting a pointed item like an icepick through both upper and lower tensioner flat surfaces. tension is now relieved and removal from the wiper motor is accomplished.
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Lance do you sell the wire that goes thru the firewall drivers side ? Thanks John