1940 Hudson Series 40T Traveler Six Utility Coupe

michelle
michelle Member
edited November 2018 in HUDSON
Dear all,

I'm new in the Hudson family. It ain't my first classic car but it's my first Hudson.
I do need to find some official documentations stating the engine data since the original one seems to have been replaced in my 1940 Hudson Series 40T Traveler Six Utility Coupe.
The VIN number of the car is 4027746 but it seems to have been fitted with a newer Hudson engine from 1947.
I do need to trace and find some official docs to be able to register the car.
Any help and/or hint is warmly welcome.

Michelleimage

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Greetings, Michelle.

I am not sure what you are looking for. Because your car has a 1947 engine, are you seeking specifications for the 1947 engine? Certainly we can supply that information if you need it.
  • Hi Jon,
    Indeed I am seeking the specs of this 1947 engine.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, let's see:

Inline L-head six-cylinder. Chrome alloy block. Displacement: 212 CID. Bore and stroke: 3.00" x 5.00". Compression ratio: 6.5:1. Horsepower: 102 @ 4000 RPM. Torque: 168 @ 1200 RPM. Three main bearings. Solid valve lifters. Carburetor: Carter two-barrel WDO type Model 501S.

Will that work?
  • Thanks for the info's. Is there any sort of official source I might mention? The MOT service here in Luxembourg is quite annoying and they won't accept anything without some form of official prove. I have also attached a pic of the engine.image
  • here is a close-up of the serial number

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    That is not a serial number. Serial number is found on a plate mounted on the passenger side door post/"A"pillar. Your owner manual has all the specs.
  • That's the serial number of the engine (or isn't it?).
    I am aware that VIN number is on the pillar. That one is 4027746 as stated my initial post.
    The issue is that it doesn't seem to be the original Hudson engine which who the car left the factory back in 1940. I do need to know which exact type this is to be able to register my car here in Luxembourg.
  • Ric West IN
    What was my first statement? Engine number is stamped on the surface of the block near the front right side between the exhaust ports.
  • Ric West IN
    Foundry casting number found near the starter motor on the crank case may help with I.D. 162610 is from 1946+ 1947. 162450 is found on some 1942's 159547 on 1940 and 1941.
    Owner manual will have the specs.
    Good luck
  • Thanks a lot Ric.
    I will have another look this evening after work.
  • Here is another close-up clip of the top of the engine.
    Any idea which size/type this engine is?

It ain't the original one.
  • Ric West IN
    That is a head from a short stroke 175 cu in. engine, probably the original for your car.
    That would provide a bit more power when used with the 3x5 engine. Foundry mark is from Lakey Foundry and Machine Company , Muskegon, Michigan
  • The generator bracket is not right,looks like it is at the wrong angle
  • The generator bracket is not right,looks like it is at the wrong angle

I'm not yet that familiar with Hudson's. I will check it.
  • That is a head from a short stroke 175 cu in. engine, probably the original for your car.
    That would provide a bit more power when used with the 3x5 engine. Foundry mark is from Lakey Foundry and Machine Company , Muskegon, Michigan

Thanks a lot for the input.
    Is there a source where I might learn more about this?
  • Ric West IN
    Which "this" do you wish to learn more about?

Fred "Ric"
  • Do you belong to the HET Club and where do you live. Ron
  • Which "this" do you wish to learn more about?

Fred "Ric"

Dear Fred,

'This' means further info's regarding details of the Hudson's of that era in general:
    • engine details
    • the various different foundry's and how to find out which made which engine block
    • books, publications, websites, etc
    I just wanna learn as much as possible about the car I bought.
  • Do you belong to the HET Club and where do you live. Ron

Dear Ron,

No I'm not yet a HET club member.
    I'm from Luxembourg in Europe.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Michelle,

Here's the link to information regarding the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club. I would be glad to send you a complimentary copy of the White Triangle News. Click on the link, read about the club, then send me an email with your mailing address. We have international members around the globe, no problem getting the White Triangle News to you!

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/165267/consider-joining-the-hudson-essex-terraplane-club#latest

John Forkner
    Hudson Essex Terraplane Club

• 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    is the 1940 you pictured the car you bought?
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser

is the 1940 you pictured the car you bought?

It looks like a Hosteller auction car ?
  • 2manyprojects
    yes it is i was at the auction. i was trying to find out if that was just a pic he used or if it is the car he bought. if its the car he bought he could contact eldons son J R to get the info he is looking for.
  • if you'll read the auction catalogue it states the original engine was replaces with a 3X5, rebuilt so they obviously used the short stroke head on the car. If I were you Michelle, I would provide the original printed specs for the car with the original engine and that would be that. I would not confound the situation with replacement engines or the like.
  • P.S. I use those heads on all my 3X5's; it provides 10 additional horsepower - a very notable difference.
  • is the 1940 you pictured the car you bought?

Yes it is the car I bought.
  • yes it is i was at the auction. i was trying to find out if that was just a pic he used or if it is the car he bought. if its the car he bought he could contact eldons son J R to get the info he is looking for.

She (I) bought that very specific car. I will have to find out how to get in touch with Mr Hostetler Jr.
  • allan said:

if you'll read the auction catalogue it states the original engine was replaces with a 3X5, rebuilt so they obviously used the short stroke head on the car. If I were you Michelle, I would provide the original printed specs for the car with the original engine and that would be that. I would not confound the situation with replacement engines or the like.

It might just be the smartest way. I know I would run into quite a few problems here in Luxembourg trying to put the data of the replacement engine in the original car papers.
  • 2manyprojects
    from the club roster jrhostetlerhet@gmail.com eldons son
  • from the club roster jrhostetlerhet@gmail.com eldons son

Thanks a lot for sharing his email with me.
    I do appreciate it a lot.