Gas Tank Install & Prep Recommendations

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
On my 37 Hudson coupe I am fortunate enough to have a custom made steel tank with internal baffles.  A couple years ago I pulled the tank, cleaned it and gave it a good coating of WD40 inside and it still looks good today.  As I prepare to install the pickup tube, sending unit & neck to the tank, I’m wondering what advice others can give with this setup & install?  

Such as where exactly to use the adhesive backed webbing I have?   Between the tank & straps, between the tank & body or both?

The sending unit I have, which I don’t even know if it works, how to test it or if there are replacements?   Anything to consider on the pickup tube like a sock?  Should I also use some Permatex with the 1/8” cork/rubber gaskets I’ve made?  

Since this was a custom built tank before I bought her, I’m concerned about the attachment of the neck to the tank.  Ideally I don’t want to gas myself out or have to deal with leaks as gas sloshes around even with baffles.  Planning on using 1/8” cork/rubber gasket here too.

What have others used in this area between the body & tank where neck goes thru the trunk?  I’m thinking some type of 1/2”-3/4” rubber to seal out water, exhaust, etc?

Finally, are there options for a rubber gasket around neck thru the body?

Comments