35 Terraplane fuel issue

I am having an issue on my 35 T. with the fuel system not holding prime to the carburetor if it sets for a couple of days. Once I turn it over for awhile to allow the fuel pump to refill the line it starts right up. It is not an issue if you shut it off for a couple hours, only if it has set for a day or two.

I have installed a rebuilt fuel pump and had the carburetor rebuilt. My thought is it might be the float not set correctly but other than that I am stumped.

Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    edited October 2018
    1) I have a 35T block in my 34T with electric fuel pump and have no starting problems - would an electric fuel pump help?
    2) Is Walt Mordenti still rebuilding carbs? That would surely fix it.
  • Thanks Ken, I will check that out.

I am not impressed with the folks I had rebuild my carb. They are "Antique Auto Ranch" out of Spokane, Wa. I had an issue with that screw plug and several other things after their rebuild and thought I had it fixed. Maybe not.

I had reached out to Walt M. to have him do the rebuild but he was having hip surgery at the time and I did not hear back from him until much later, and that was on the other HET forum. It's my bad that I do not use that forum very often.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    hadn't heard that one Ken, but it makes sense. My 49 WDO does the same thing if it sets for more than a day or two. I thought maybe it was going out the vents at the top.
  • Ken,

I was not aware of the check valves in the fuel pump. Are they something that can be reasonably replaced or is that a task for a rebuilder ?

That actually seems like the prime (pun intended) candidate.

I only use non ethanol premium in the old girl. The fuel pump, fuel line, and carb. are now supposed to be ethanol compliant but the car sets all winter here in North Idaho and I think even with STABIL the fuel lasts longer without ethanol when setting for six months.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    I can see how the fuel in the fuel pipe (carby to fuel pump) would drain back down through the check valves if these valves are worn. But wouldn't the fuel level in this section of the fuel line, level out with that in the fuel tank? Unless there was a syphoning action the carby bowl would be left fuel of fuel until it evaporated. Stabil products may help stop evaporation but if we dont use our cars regularly I thought we had to just accept no fuel in the bowl eventually, and install an electric back up pump. My thoughts
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Mike, this is standard procedure in my '37, even when I got the carb back (rebuilt) from Daytona several years ago. I just chalked it up to today's volatile ethanol gasolines. No matter whether the engine has set one day or 3 months, it always takes about 10 seconds of grinding before it starts. That has never seemed like a big deal to me.

Does it seem to take much longer to get yours going? If not, I'd just live with it!
  • 34Terraplaner
    34Terraplaner Senior Contributor
    Agree Jon.  Normal vehicle operation 
  • Jon, Yes, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the fuel pump to fill the fuel filter bowl and then the carb. It never was that bad until I replaced the fuel pump and had the carb. rebuilt.

I hate to make the starter grind away that long if there is something I can do to get it to start up right away again. It 's not the end of the world I just thought it might be an easy fix I wasn't aware of.

I may try to track down a fuel pump rebuild kit that has the valves if they are not too pricey. Something to mess with in the shop when the weather turns nasty.