Painted moldings

I know these are very hard to find, but I am going to ask anyway. I need the three painted moldings for the front fender, door & quarter panel on my 51 Hornet Club Coupe.

Thanks, Tommy.

Comments

• bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    They are hard to find! When I restored a 53 years ago, I was able to piece together a set of stainless and that is what I left them as...I liked the extra shine. Of course, not as feasible if you one side already.
    I believe 21st Century Hudson now sells new stainless and these can be painted if desired. You can check to see if they sell individual pieces or if they only do them in sets.
  • When were painted moldings used? I guess they weren't made of stainless?
  • The sequence went like this: in 1948-9 paint mould was 'oval' and made of stainless steel. In 1950 the paint mould copied the mid body character lines but on a slightly narrower gauge. The tell tale between the mid body moulding and the paint mould was that the paint mould had blunt ends. The body moulds were slightly tapered.. In 1951 Hudson reverted back to the oval style of 48-9 but made the moulds out of steel and had them painted the body color. This carried through until 1953. In 1954 there were no paint mouldings used. All 48-53 stepdowns used these . The SWB cars just had shorter front fender moulds.
  • Thanks for the info, I will proceed with plan "B", what ever it may be.

Tommy.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Like bull islander said, 21st Century Hudson is your current best bet. They offer pieces in stainless and you can either buff them out and or rough them up and paint them.
  • I believe you are correct, but has 21st Century changed there web site? I tried to open it, and it shows to be closed.
    Thanks, Tommy.
  • Thanks, that worked!

Tommy.