1952 Hudson Hornet Hollywood Hardtop Coupe For Sale

Hello everyone. First post on this forum. I am going to be selling a beautiful 1952 Hudson Hornet Hollywood 2Dr hardtop with its original flathead-six and twin h-power dual 1bbl carb set up. Has has its original hydramatic automatic transmission. 98K original miles I believe. I am selling this for my customer who lives here locally in CA. I have it on consignment. Wanted the Hudson experts opinion on what this car is worth. Give me a ball park. There is one here locally in CA listed for 50K. This car runs and drives excellent. Fires right up and drives great. Has upgraded 12-volt. I know this particular model is hard to find and I can only find one other hollywood 2dr hardtop for sale right now.https://photos.app.goo.gl/G8JNn1STTa3D6Wp97

Comments

• I was reading that there were only 190 hollywood coupes made. Is this true and is this car a true hollywood coupe? What makes one a Hollywood and what are the differences in features from your standard club coupe?

I'm in the beginning stages of doing my research so bare with me on the questions. Looking forward to hearing from you guys on how rare this car is for '52 and how many of this particular model were produced so I can determine how rare this car is. Thanks in advance.
  • Thanks for your input and I agree with you. The more I talk to other Hudson owners the more I am realizing that while they are rare in their own right they aren't in huge demand
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I think most prefer the coupe to the hardtop. The hardtop looks top heavy to me.
    If you have a coupe or convertible , then a Hollywood is a nice rarity to own.
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    i have a 49 coupe a 51 hornet conv. and a 53 hollywood love all three
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited October 2018
    To answer your other questions:

Yes, 190 is accepted approximate production number for the '52 Hlwyds by the pundits. Exact production numbers have been lost.

Yes, it's a Hollywood. What it makes it one is that unlike a coupe, which has a 'B'-post, Hollywoods are basically what other manufacturers called hardtops. No B-Post. Because of this, the roof line is quite different, with a wrap-around 3-pc. rear window, unlike any other model and makes the greenhouse look larger (because it is).

Is it rare? Hudson made 4.75 million cars in their illustrious history over the course of less than half-a-century. Approximately 10,000 cars survive of all years, all makes, all body styles.

They're ALL rare.
  • Thank you guys for all the info. I had no idea there were approx 10,000 cars out of the 4.75 million- WOW. RL Chilton thanks for the specifics on what makes this a Hollywood. There's a 53 Club Coupe on Hemmings for $49,500 about an hour away from me here in CA. Owner wants to move this car rather quickly. I plan to list it well below that price taking into consideration how many of these are left in the world, the comps listed for sale right now, and this car's overall condition which I would say is in great shape.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Prices are all over the place in today's market, And the term "Rare" is thrown about like cheap candy. The problem is that rare does not add bucks to the sale of a car. And, there is no shortage of Hudson's for sale in the marketplace today. In the WTN last month there are four cars listed around $30K. A one off Barris Custom Martz car, A stepdown convertible and a 34 Hudson 8 coupe (also a 37 coupe). All are cars that are rare. So, in addition, I also checked a few of the current periodicals and saw cars like this one (Hollywoods) that were from very nice to recently restored and the prices went from $13 to $120 K. The point is that you can ask what ever you want. You might also find a buyer that does not do comparison shopping and think that what ever your price is would be fair and a good deal. However, the reality is that this Hollywood is not a fresh restoration, and as nice as it is it will not bring a price well above market value. Current value based on Old Cars Price guide is $23,000-it will most likely sell somewhere between plus or minus $3,000 from there. Good luck with your sale.
  • Prices are all over the place in today's market, And the term "Rare" is thrown about like cheap candy. The problem is that rare does not add bucks to the sale of a car. And, there is no shortage of Hudson's for sale in the marketplace today. In the WTN last month there are four cars listed around $30K. A one off Barris Custom Martz car, A stepdown convertible and a 34 Hudson 8 coupe (also a 37 coupe). All are cars that are rare. So, in addition, I also checked a few of the current periodicals and saw cars like this one (Hollywoods) that were from very nice to recently restored and the prices went from $13 to $120 K. The point is that you can ask what ever you want. You might also find a buyer that does not do comparison shopping and think that what ever your price is would be fair and a good deal. However, the reality is that this Hollywood is not a fresh restoration, and as nice as it is it will not bring a price well above market value. Current value based on Old Cars Price guide is $23,000-it will most likely sell somewhere between plus or minus $3,000 from there. Good luck with your sale.

!!!!WELL SAID!!!!
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Spot on ^^^
  • All very good points and each classic car is different. Appreciate all the input.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Here's a link to some pics of a 52 Hollywood that was for sale in FL with an asking price of $25k. Originally posted in April. It was unsold into August. Don't know if it has changed hands now or not.

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/comment/222930#Comment_222930
  • Thanks for that comp
  • Here are some updated photos. Will rack it in the next few days to get undercarriage photos as well. Anyone out there interested in this car? If so throw me an offer!

http://zubesimportauto.com/advert/52hudson/album/index.html
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited October 2018
    That is a nice Hollywood. Interesting how the dash was covered and not finished like original. They did a good job but it would effect the price to me. Dash guages need a redo, faces faded and yellowed numbers, overall very nice so far. Would like to see the undercarraige. Air cleaners from later 55-56 years, not the 52 year. Wonder what beat in the radiator top tank? Would have that redone.
    Nice color combo. Have any idea how old the tires are? Bias ply or radials?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Nice looking car!
  • iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited October 2018
    My Peanut Gallery comments:

It's a little odd that the passenger side mirror was mounted to the fender rather than the door, but I suppose that was because of the line of sight angles involved. This could have been avoided by getting the right kind of mirrors (some don't pivot as much as they should... many people have found that out the hard way, after installation!).

The air cleaners are not correct for '52. They are '55-56 style cleaners. Not a big deal, but a purist might say something about that. I will say, though, that those cleaners look like they are original paint, and in immaculate shape!

The wiring under the hood is a bit off-putting to me! I'm not sure that those yellow plastic wiring connectors should ever be used in an application like that. They are best for lighting fixtures in your home! The wiring just looks sloppy, amateur, and potentially unsafe.

I agree w/ the comment about the dashboard being a little odd with the covering. I'd prefer a nice original/restored dashboard.

Overall, though, I like the car a lot. It's beautiful and has some very nice touches.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    I like the car, it looks well kept, except for the wiring! That is unsafe! Nice to see the headlight relay. But the red and blue wires with the yellow caps needs to be redone. To me the price just dropped. Spoils the entire look of the engine bay for me. Just my 1.5 cents.

Jay
  • 2manyprojects
    2manyprojects Expert Adviser
    i would remove shades and visor. nice car though.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member

This is Rob Hesselmann's Hudson that he sold earlier this year.

https://www.hetclub.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=12&id=4087&Itemid=1367
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Ken U-Tx said:

I think it should sell for what the guy paid for it earlier this year. Around $22-24K. It sure didn't appreciate $5-10K in just a few months.

Agreed!