Fuel Tank Sending Unit

joe53HHjoe53HH Expert Adviser
in Parts & Pieces Posts: 53
Dropped the gas tank this weekend on my 53 Hornet. The tank doesn't look bad but the sending unit has holes in the float. Any suggestion as to a part number or place where I can get a replacement?
Thanks, Joe


  • allanallan Member
    Posts: 171
    Sure, the float is the same as Ford. Mac repro Ford parts has new brass floats reasonably priced. I just put one on my '52 and put 2 on the shelf.
  • Ol racerOl racer Senior Contributor
    Posts: 2,395
    Paul Shuster on this Forum sells new float / Senders
  • joe53HHjoe53HH Expert Adviser
    Posts: 53
    Allan, Did you replace just the float or the entire sending unit? If you replaced the entire unit does the fuel gauge appear accurate? The sales person at Mac stated the unit is 12 ohms full and 98 ohms empty. Does the positive ground affect the ohms reading?
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Senior Contributor
    Posts: 3,485
    The sending unit doesn't give a rat's patooty about polarity, it only acts as a variable resistor to regulate the current.
  • Ken U-TxKen U-Tx Senior Contributor
    Posts: 3,485
    The sending unit PAUL SCHUSTER sells is a ford unit that has been recalibrated to HUDSON ohms specs. If you buy the CARPENTER unit from a FORD supplier, it will be off on the readings.
  • Oldfarmer1947gmailcomOldfarmer1947gmailcom Expert Adviser
    Posts: 1,555
    While there are several means of repair the reality of how the Hudson Fuel guage and tank sender work are fundamental to the complete repair. 
Sign In or Register to comment.