Cooling System Installation Questions

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I’m about to assemble my coolant system (water jacket, water pump, thermostat housing & hoses) on the 37 6cyl.   Here are my last minute questions:

Assembly Order:  
I figured the water jacket then pump then housing for thermostat, with hoses as I install. Is this ok? 

Thread Sealant / Bolts & Washers:  
I picked up Permatex thread sealant with PTFE to use on all the threads for all of these items.  All the block threads for these items were cleaned with a thread chaser.  The stainless steel bolt threads are very clean & I will re-use the stainless steel flat & lock washers as before on the jacket.  Flat washers were given a hammering to make sure they are flat.  Do I really need brass or copper crush washers or will the ones I have work?  Any thread sealant application technique recommendations?  Is it ok to just use lock washers on the thermostat housing and the water pump?

Water Jacket: 
The water jacket gasket surfaces on the block & jacket have both been painted when the jacket & block were painted.  The jacket surface is good & flat.  Anything I missed?

Gasket & Sealant:  
I will be using a very thin layer the Permatex Ultra Grey gasket maker on both sides of the water jacket gasket & the thermostat gasket.  Should I use any Sealant on the paper thin water pump to block gasket?

Torque Specs/ Pattern  
What torque specs should I tighten the bolts to on all of these items?   Is there a special pattern for tightening the jacket bolts as I haven’t found anything.

Hoses:  
What should I use to assist in the installation of the hoses onto the painted surfaces of the jacket, pump, housing & radiator neck?  I was thinking of using Sil-Glide since it won’t damage rubber.

Thanks guys

Comments

• BigSky
    Anyone have experience with this?  It’s getting done today, right or wrong.
  • BigSky
    edited October 2018
    It’s been an interesting process and way slower than I wanted.  Previously there were 3/4” long bolts and from what I can tell the Water Jacket needs 5/8” length bolts but that’s a guess.  At least on my block the two bolts on the side bottom and center bottom could not fit a 3/4” without 3-4 washers.  With no 5/8” around I grabbed a 1/2” which is a couple threads shorter than I’d like but should work.  

Also on my block the water pump, the passenger side bolt actually goes into the coolant system.  It may just be my block but I’m planning on thread sealant on those as well.  I really appreciate the torque specs needed for the water jacket, where can one find such a thing?  I didn’t see it in the Mechanical Procedural Manual.

I’ve heard various different things for washers including copper, brass & steel.  The difficult part is the non-AN washers which are typically found everywhere are too wide overall and the 5/16” size is a bit too loose on the bolts as well.  If the washers outside dimensions are too wide, they won’t sit flat on the jacket to seal right.  I’d also been told if they are too wide they can pinch the steal & could lead to leaks.  I understand the softer material can conform better to the jacket to aid in sealing.  After wasting a couple more hours today trying to locate the proper size brass washer I’ve given up and will just use the stainless ones I have which are a M8 washer & fit good for the outside width.  

Time to go make a mess...