Mini starter from ebay

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited September 2018 in HUDSON
I just installed one of the mini-starters that is sold on ebay on the '54 and it is a winner! They are a bit pricey at $275, but wow what a nice piece, compact and light weight! I burned out my starter twice and that was enough. Unfortunately they are only available for Hydramatics.

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Just need to click on the attachment in the message, pictures come through for me.
  • Pictures come thru for me too
  • 50C8DAN
    Ken there is only one position that works. I also had interference with the accelerator arm. However, I just flipped the pivot to the other side of the actuator arm and no problem. I will post some photos tomorrow.
  • Hudson_in_Seattle
    edited September 2018
    i also bought this unit (nippon denso i think) - my '53 hornet is a 12v conversion and hydramatic - i'm very pleased with this product - it looks like they are out for now - i called the number in utah to get more info before purchase - https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=272657670999&view=all&tid=2014874574017
  • 50C8DAN
    edited September 2018
    Photos attached

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Ken U-Tx said:

AS USUAL THIS FORUM IS MALFUNCTIONING, THE PICTURES i cannot post correctly,.

Tell me what you were doing Ken ; posting pictures is fundamental to the forum and if you're having issues I need to know what they are so I can address them.

What I can't work with is a statement like "AS USUAL THIS FORUM IS MALFUNCTIONING" ...
  • There are six mounting positions available on this starter, by being able to rotate the mounting flange on the starter motor.
  • 50C8DAN
    That is true there are six positions if you count the starter rotated 180 degrees and three sets of 2 flange holes, but only one can really work at least for a '54. I believe it will not matter if it is a '51 - '54. As Ken notes the pitman arm limits on one side and 180 degrees the other way just will not work due to where how the starter mounts and hits the block. Believe me I tried about each one to see which would work and my photos shows which one.
  • 50C8DAN said:

That is true there are six positions if you count the starter rotated 180 degrees and three sets of 2 flange holes, but only one can really work at least for a '54. I believe it will not matter if it is a '51 - '54. As Ken notes the pitman arm limits on one side and 180 degrees the other way just will not work due to where how the starter mounts and hits the block. Believe me I tried about each one to see which would work and my photos shows which one.

As long as one of them works, I guess that's all that matters.