'54 Light Switch Help

I have acquired my grandfather's 1954 Hudson, and I have found that the parking lights (marker lights) did not come on when the lights switch was switched to the first position. Now, the headlights did come on when switching to the second position, but the marker lights did not come on. I decided to look behind the dash yesterday and found that two wire bullets were just hanging out in the spaghetti mess of wiring. I found out the hard way that one of the bullets was 'live'. After disconnecting the battery, I went back under the dash and connected the two stray bullets back into two of the female spots in the back of the 'lights' switch. Got the marker lights (& dash lights) working in the first switch position, but when turning on the headlights, the marker lights go back out. So, my main question is, is there a wiring diagram for the switch that I can figure out why both the headlights and the marker lights do not stay on in the second position, or can someone just give me an idea of what to look for. I was just happy to finally be able to see that the marker lights all work....even that magnificent Hudson emblem on the front! I have used the search engine on the site, but typing in 'light switch' turns into hundreds of posts on any lights or switch posts. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Front parking lights do not stay on when the headlights come on. that's the way Hudson did it.
  • 54 coupe is right. You can look at your owner manual and check out the wiring diagram for yourself. It should have a foldout page where lubrication and wiring are located.
  • I usually wire my tail lights and parking lights together. Then I have parking lights on, in both positions.
  • Have my front parking lights wired to come on with the ignition switch as running lights. Pays to be seen. 2 diodes reqd.
  • 54coupe said:

I usually wire my tail lights and parking lights together. Then I have parking lights on, in both positions.

The problem I see is that the front parking/marker lights and the rear parking/marker lights both come on with the first switch and then when I turn the knob to the second, all parking/marker lights turn off and only the headlights are on. So the suggestion is to wire the parking/marker lights to come on with the ignition, or wire them in with the headlights so they all come on and the first switch is non-existent?
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    If the spaghetti mess of wiring or part of it is the original 64 year old rubber insulated wire you have a car fire waiting to happen.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited September 2018

Download and print to follow the lighting portion of the schematic

Manufacture and installation of a replacement harness for the lighting is straight forward and can be accomplished with simple hand tools and patience.
  • FamilyHudson54
    edited September 2018
    Thank you gentlemen for the input. I am grateful for the fact that you guys are here for a helping hand with the Hudson. This upcoming weekend, I will hunker down and get this fixed, while getting more acquainted with some of the mechanics of the vehicle. This vehicle was road worthy back in 1972 before being garaged and brought back into the sunlight in 2010 after my grandfather sold his farm. Now 8 years later after my uncle got it running again, I am now the owner of the vehicle...keeping it in the family after my grandfather's passing. I do plan to restore it...through time.
    Still in the garage (pic 2010):

Getting pulled out from its slumber (2010):

Cleaned up and at the new home (2018):
    Unfortunately, after being removed from the garage, it was transferred to another farm where it spent the last 7.5 years outside under tarps, so it does have some surface rust and paint that is falling off. I'm not too concerned with the rust as it now sits in a garage and gets out almost every weekend and stretches its legs once again. I will start on the rust removal this winter.

• Nice! Like you, I also have a "family Hudson," of which I am the caretaker.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    A cut from the 1954 Hudson owner's manual
  • Nice! Like you, I also have a "family Hudson," of which I am the caretaker.

Congrats....the nice thing about being a part of the HET club is that we are now a part of the 'Family' of Hudsons. I know I have my work cut out for me and I hope I do my grandfather proud.
  • A cut from the 1954 Hudson owner's manual

Thank you Oldfarmer. I will have to take the dash section out this weekend, if possible, and try to rearrange the wiring so it is more streamlined instead of the old, dry, fragile, fire proned mess that it is. At least until I can afford a new OEM looking wire harness. Then I will look at the back of the light switch and figure out what wire bullets go to what and get this wired up correct.