Batteries...

PittsSpecial
PittsSpecial Member
edited September 2018 in HUDSON
I have the original 6V system in my 54 Hornet and looking on the forum seen a few good ideas on battery's / starting / charging etc.
I saw one set up that had 2 x 6V battery's in parallel which seems a good idea - any down side to doing this ? I also plan to replace the main cables based upon feedback of aging and increasing resistance. That should get me a good start in the right direction.
I have the original Hudson 6V alternator and it seems to be not great at charging battery. Is it worth getting this refurbished or i have seen advertised 6V + ground alternators adapted from newer GM units. Looks like these provide better charging capability ... any feedback on the charging system and improvements ?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    My "take" on 45 years of driving the same 1937: 6 volts, and the original type generator, should be adequate to run / start your car. If you want to try improving it with a 6 - 12 starting system (does require a special switch), or substituting an alternator -- well, that will work as well, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra time and money. Others may have a different opinion.

The main thing is to get a good battery (mine has roughly 780 cold cranking amps, be sure not to buy some cheapie weenie battery just to save a few bucks. The one I have now is a traditional lead-acid type made by DEKA (costs about $100). Optima makes a very long-lived 6-volt gel-type battery, though it's considerably more expensive.

Just be sure you're using the correct size of cable (almost 3/4" in diameter), that you are grounding both the engine and the frame to the battery (two separate ground straps), and that all the connections are "bright and tight". The generators are pretty bulletproof and shouldn't cost that much to get rebuilt. Or just shop around for a good used one.
  • Thanks. Any recommendations for generator rebuild ?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    There is probably someone locally, maybe an "older" automobile electric company that speaks "our language". You could look in your search engine. Where are you located? Maybe someone on the forum's from that area and can make a recommendation.
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    The special  switch is a orpin switch kinda hard to find now days 
    They do pop up on eBay every now and then
    You can Google generator rebuild for autos it should give you a list of places in your area 
    Hope this helps
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser

This is a orpin  model b switch b is for a 6 volt
    C model  is for a 12 volt you need a b model
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
     This will help explane how it works and the hook up
  • All
    Thanks for the help. I have a recommendation for starter rebuild and generator as well. I am having issue with the electrical system, not charging and the voltage regulator gets very hot, very quickly. I suspect the issue is the generator .... any other things to check ?

Cheers
    Andrew