car covers

2manyprojects
2manyprojects Expert Adviser
looking for recommendations for outdoor waterproof car covers. i looked online many to choose from but alot of bad reviews.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Yes there are many out there, and actually most are made by the same company. I got mine from carcovers.com, but from what I could tell they sell the same thing most of the other guys do.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Fine for short term emergency storage, in our climate long term use will just create RUST. Good luck....
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    A decade or so ago I had one of the really nice, thick & waterproof covers.  After I bought it I read it wasn’t supposed to be kept on for long & that it really wasn’t too waterproof.  

This may not work but if you can do any kind of canopy it would be best.  If not keep an eye on the cover & moisture that develops underneath the cover.  Don’t forget even soft covers will rub some if it’s wind out.  Wish I had the magic bullet for you, but you’ll just have to way the pluses & minuses for your climate. 
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I pretty much echo what everyone else has told you. Not recommended.
  • 2manyprojects
    budget not the issue,the city is the issue. i have as large of a building as allowed. wooded 5 acres can not see building from my private street. still they have a issue.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Yes, a cover is not for permanent outside storage. In fla, if left on long term, it creates a humid environment and rust will result.
  • budget not the issue,the city is the issue. i have as large of a building as allowed. wooded 5 acres can not see building from my private street. still they have a issue.

i had a similar issue - upon inspection, the city saw that my small structure was actually constructed to be removable (bolted to concrete footers in the ground - it would take 2 strong guys to move) - they said removable structures didn't count - no problem since - perhaps, check your local codes for a creative yet legal solution
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    In Southern California bolting to the ground makes it permanent. So you have to get creative especially with some of the strong winds. Buckets of concrete work well as does old Hudson leaf springs. Of course the size of the structure is another issue.
    Jay
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Solution:  don’t tell the city & use CAMO!
  • 2manyprojects
    my wife solution was the worst advice,sell some cars.