Tune Up parts, cooling system

Who can point me in the easy direction for spark plug wires, spark plugs and coil? 1937 Hudson Deluxe 8 (L8 engine). I know I could do hours of researching, web and many other paths, just thought you all would have this easier. Also need thermostat (150 degrees I think) and radiator hoses.

Comments

• Got my plug wires from YNZ and wildrick rubber parts will have the hoses and thermostat.
  • Went to the Kanter store, seems a premium price but they have complete sets. thanks for YNZ suggestion.
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited September 2018
    Maruefer,

Thermostat:
    Just last week I picked up a thermostat at NAPA #91 @ 160 degrees.  I also picked up a Gates #33036 @160 degrees thermostat on Amazon.   I drilled a 1/8” hole in the stat to allow air to escape as I fill the radiator, otherwise it maybe difficult if not impossible to get the system full until the thermostat opens.  I’ve read that this small of a hole helps to keep hot spots from developing before the thermostat has the chance to open as it moves a small amount of fluid around. 

Hoses:
    As far as Hoses go I went with the old skool style & look. To me it looks like a black fabric wrap on the hose.  The photo below doesn’t do them justice as they are quite attractive in person.  Advanced Auto near me sold them by the inch instead of foot as everyone else I called.   The sizes are listed below but measure your current ones to be sure as my upper hose measures 12” and a 10” would never work on my 37 coupe (6cyl).  Hose clamps are stainless & can be polished if desired.  Wildrick Restorations has these and new clamps for a very good price, $30 to $35 if I remember correctly.  

Bypass System:
    You can tell if you have the bypass system as there is a 1” diameter hose around 2-3” long from thermostat housing to water pump.  If you have this there are a couple things to note.  On my coupe I have a bypass water pump & thermostat housing so I blocked both off with a small 11/16” freeze plug from NAPA to use a standard non-bypass thermostat.  I lightly tapped them in with a little Permatex Ultra grey gasket maker around the edge.  I did this because I didn’t buy a correct “bypass thermostat” as I couldn’t find them.  However, afterwards I found the bypass thermostat for sale in the club magazine, White Triangle News Sept/Oct issue.

Water Jacket:
    You may may want to open up the water jacket as well & see how it looks.  I just did this & found my inner baffle had the wrong size & placement of holes in it. Combine that with no thermostat, bypass not closed off & I knew why the previous owner put a crazy 6 blade fan on, she was definitely over heating on him. The top one is the correct number, size & placement to properly and evenly cool all the cylinders.   If you pull this you will likely need a new gasket.  Doug Wildrick at Wildrick Restorations also has these and recently suggested to me to use a very thin layer of the Permatex (mentioned above) to seal it well.  Also need to use this or something similar on the bolts which go into the water jacket & exposed to the radiator fluid to help keep them from leaking.   

Hope that helps!