Rock Auto

I ordered the Gates 23838 defroster hose today. 1 3/4 ID It comes 6 ft in length. Is that generally enough???

Comments

• Yes I did. Thanks Ken U-Tx
  • Hose came today. It doesn't seem to fit. It is slightly to small in diameter. They don't offer a 2" ID so not sure where to go from here. Maybe I will try and stretch it over and see if it will fit. Any suggestions? Anyone?
  • well that made me chuckle.
  • Ha Ha that's a good one but also maybe sound advice. I got a 2 " ID from Oreillys today/ Surprised they had it. The Gates web site directed me to them. It fits very nice and doest slide off. I'll still clamp it though. Now I need to figure what goes between the metal duct and the vent ducts. Those openings are oval and much smaller. AS I recall Jeep used oval ducting on the A/C system.
  • Well I don't know exactly what goes there. I'll post a pic later of the vents under the dash and you can see better what I am talking about.
  • Ok I will attach 3 pics the tube, the tube opening and the vent opening under the dash. I feel something goes between the vent opening and the tube.

• The vent opening
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes 1939 Six Series 92. My Group parts book calls out parts for the defroster and it says Defroster hose-short 2 ea. P/N BO 155706. I think this may be what I need but no Illustration is given. So I cant be sure.
  • Ok found some oval shaped hose at Menards that works and everything now all connected.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2018
    Did the T shaped (roughly) steel connector come with your car, or did you pick it up somewhere? It's ingenious how it fits, with both ends sliding into sleeves of rubber hose, which are then slid over the inlet at each of the defroster nozzles.

My '37 didn't have a defroster originally. I finally obtained 2 original style nozzles, but had no idea how to rig them. So I found a metal "Y" connector at a flea market, and ran flexible duct between each of the nozzles and the Y connector. Then I ran a vertical duct from the Y down to the heater's defroster outlet. But the metal "Y" just hung freely, and would bang around under the dash, sometimes disconnecting itself from the hoses. Ultimately I obtained a steel gun-shaped tube like you have (courtesy of a very nice Hudson guy), and it worked like a charm!

I've never found a way to get that flexible duct to fit the heater's defroster outlet securely, though. I just sort of stuffed it into the outlet and hoped it wouldn't pop out!
  • It came with my car. It is part of the original set up. The two sleeves I made with the hose I found fit tightly in the tube and vent openings. That holds the tube up tightly. The goose from the heater to the tube I got at OreiO'Re auto partd. 

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    I’m still puckered up from Ken’s description... Thank God one is given plenty of Versed to not remember anything that happens in a colonoscopy!   
  • Yeah typing on the phone isn't as easy it's supposed to say O'Reilly's Auto Parts.