SMS Upholstery

Trevor J
Trevor J Expert Adviser
anyone had trouble with SMS upholstery. Had promise after promise from them. I paid my money up front they stuffed the order several times they tell me they are making the material when they obviously are not. I am at a loss what to do that is not the way we do business in NewZealand. I am concerned that they are trying to rip me off because I am an overseas customer. Any thoughts. This has been going in since April. When I first ordered with them I was promised a 3 week turnaround

Comments

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Trevor, when I got the Pacemaker material the deal went very smoothly. It was a number of years ago though. I have communicated with others who have dealt with them and no indication of problems. 
    Hopefully there is nothing sinister going on, just an honest mistake or such.
    Good luck with getting it sorted. 
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Hi Alistair. There is no mistake I have had plenty of communication just lies and broken promises. ill give you a ring some time and tell you about it. It would make a good article for our club magazine some time of how not to do business
  • you try calling them and asking for the boss/manager?
    make sure you have your order number, total paid and date along with dates of all emails and who you emailed so they can look it up.

Think Oregon is 19hrs behind NZ.
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited September 2018
    I had a similar experience with SMS. Paid up front, was told it would take a few months and then excuses, delays and excuses. I think it took about a year to finally get the fabric but when I got it, it was just about perfect.

When I was going through the situation, I checked online reviews because I had the same worries that you did. The reviews all seemed about the same. Excellent with in stock materials, nothing close to promised dates with custom stuff but you'll be happy when you finally get it.

If my memory is correct, Alistair needed the same fabric as I did (for a 1950 Pacemaker). They made extra when they made mine so they had it in stock which probably explains the different experience.

Here's my old thread related to the fabric:

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/165102/1950-pacemaker-fabric/p1
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Hi Thanks for your comments. I have been dealing with Doug he is the owner manager and rest assured he knows who I am and what the problem is Ringing him would not be a good idea I may get a little angry, I just cant believe that people treat you this way and get away with it. One way or another I will get what is due to me.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    I had the same issues with SMS over them reproducing the brown cord cloth material for our 54 Hornet Hollywood. I am from Canada so had to pay 87.00 Us up front plus exchange in money just when our dollar was way down in the sewer . 1400.00 Canadian. Well we waited and waited for months Then a year. I kept phoning Doug always same its being made .He said he rejected 2 different swatches and we waited I phoned more times .He said he rejected the 3rd. swatch and told me over the phone if its not good enough for his car its not good enough for my car. Several months later about 1 1/2 years later I get the material 11 yrds I cant say enough about how beautiful the material turned out.. SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEPTALIDOSIUS. It is out of this world. I also bought a carpet set ahd headliner and wind lacing. The morill if this story is JUST BE PATIENT.I know its very hard but it will come.People that look at our Hollywood cant believe how beautifil the seats look. Hudsonly Ray from Canada
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Sorry 89.00 dollars pluss exchange
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Yep that is fine but I am sick of the lies. He should have been up front on Day one and said this is how it is and at least I would have had the choice to send him the money or not. At the moment I am lending him money and have nothing in return. He indicated that he had the material in stock. I have never struck this before with a supposedly professional company. What happens if they go broke I am left in the hole for a $1000 plus. It is certainly not the way we do business in my country. He is now not replying to E mails. It makes you wonder what is going on with the company. Maybe they are in trouble
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    They had to reproduce my material. Sorry.
  • Trevor J
    Trevor J Expert Adviser
    Hi Doc. Thanks for that that it is reassuring but what I don't understand is why tell me lies.
    They told me that it was in stock then months ago they have told me they are making it then they have have told me other stuff which is obviously not correct I just don't understand how they run a business like that I cant be the only one with the same concerns. If I pay for something I expect it in a timely fashion. Maybe I'm missing something