Desperate Need of Grill & Hood Pieces for 37!

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
I am in Desperate Need for the following pieces for my 1937 Hudson coupe!  

GRILL:  all center chrome from chin all the way up including badge & ornament base.  Ornament too if possible.  

HOOD:   short & long spears on side panels, the body trim (wide piece approx 1.25”), the curved pieces at the top front of hood. 

Comments

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    see: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1755765860
    remember this is New Zealand re exchange rate (very low) & freight costs. Not mine & I only know what is written in the auction
  • BigSky
    Thanks for the idea, but I really don’t need the entire front grill & shell, plus it’s a Terraplane grill emblem.  I have a Hudson, not Terraplane so cannot really use it. 
  • BigSky
    Someone has to know of someone who might have these, please help me out.  I really don’t want to put another manufacturer’s ornament, etc on my coupe but she looks pretty bad without one there!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited September 2018
    I'm afraid you're searching for an object made of Unobtainium. This two-year-old Ebay auction shows you what you're up against, in terms of supply and demand. https://ebay.com/itm/ultra-rare-original-1937-hudson-hood-ornament-bakelite-chrome-jarvis-excellent/191860552003?hash=item2cabc7b143 And the insert on this ornament wasn't even red! If you're lucky enough to find a re-plateable base, you could possibly carve or machine the insert out of red acrylic. I did something similar with a '37 Terraplane base, making a red plastic insert and carving the wings myself, because I could find no ornament at any price....and that was over 40 years ago!

My advice would be to look for a "placeholder" if it can be made to fit.

A long shot: Send an e-mail out to some of the Hudson vendors who advertise in the WTN. Include a photo (from the internet) of a '37 hood ornament. Ask the vendors if any of them have even just the base for this ornament, for sale. Or, maybe you've already tried.
  • If you find some one who has one you could beg them to take it off and get it 3D scanned. Flick them some cash for the effort and pay the company who scans it.

Then you will have an obj file you can get 3d printed. use this to either make a mold and then melt down some pot metal and poor it you self. Or take it to a foundry or similar and get them to do it. then get it chromed. Or I guess you could be cheap and just get the plastic chromed.

I would recommend getting a few done or if you do it then as many as you can. then sell the other others and recoup any cost. If they are as hard to find as it seems then I imagine a few people would pay well for em.

3D printed parts are sometimes the only way now to get those elusive parts. Jay Leno talks about it & uses it a bit for his old cars.
  • BigSky
    Ha! Unobtainium is spot on.  

Agreed, I will likely need to find some place that can make a replica & multiple copies for others like me.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    F.Y.I.
    Sent PM
  • I may have just what you are looking for with a brand new ornament and red spear
  • :neutral:
    Newy82 1 post just joined member.
    be careful BigSky.
    Scam is my first thoughts - offering a part that sounds to good to be true.