Hudson Oil

maruefermaruefer Posts: 19Member
so as mentioned before, I have recently purchased a Hudson. One item the seller provided was 6 cases of 30 and 20 weight motor oil. All metal can types, half Quaker state and other half Conoco brand. Can this never opened oil be used or scrapped? Looked on eBay and it seems some people actually collect this stuff. Any advise? 

Comments

• GeoffGeoff Posts: 3,588Senior Contributor
    Depends on what they mean by "heavy duty". I would be wary of using this in a splash fed Hudson engine. You don't mention what model Hudson you have.
  • ken1962ken1962 Posts: 233Member
    Sell the oil on eBay or at swap meets. I'd think the quality of the oil would be substantial poor compared with the oils of today - plus you'd get a better dollar return slowly selling them and using the returns to purchase better oil at a cheaper price - these cans can only go up in value in the years to come
  • iceblade10iceblade10 Posts: 448Member
    I would bet against trying to use the stuff. I would try to sell the cans, as is, for the collectability factor. If you DO decide to drain the oil, the proper way is to put a small hole on the BOTTOM of the can, so that no holes show when displayed. Do you have a picture of the Quaker State? Being from PA, I'm interested in "Pennsylvania Oil" memorabilia.
  • maruefermaruefer Posts: 19Member
    When I “can”, take pictures of the Quaker state items. A suggestion I was thinking of, when I finally get to car shows with 1937 Hudson, hand out the nostalgic oil as freebies. 

Just yesterday got the 1937 on the trailer to get home.

FBE28D4D-1506-4013-98B4-531B3C257B51.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    3FFCC756-4DEB-48A2-B9B1-A78C17C54440.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • charles4dcharles4d Posts: 484Expert Adviser
    Beautiful  car
  • Jon BJon B Posts: 6,906Administrator
    Very nice car. If it hasn't been run in awhile, you would be well-advised to drop the pan and clean out the crud, before filling with fresh oil. (And don't forget to fill the upper "dipper" tray with oil!) Fresh gaskets are available.

Remember, we have a wealth of technical information between all of us forum users, so don't hesitate to bring your questions to us. There are a lot of quirks with these older Hudsons which make them different from other cars, and we know 'em all!
  • railknightrailknight Posts: 303Expert Adviser
    edited August 2018
    I agree, beautiful car! I collect "petroliana" and as a matter of fact, I was at the recent Iowa Gas 2018 show in Des Moines, IA a few weeks ago. It's suppose to be the largest event for collectors of gas & oil petroliana and auto advertising. Anyway, metal quart oil cans (versus composite) are generally worth more unopened with the motor oil still in them. I've been told by several people that motor oil does have a "shelf life" and that in time the additives loose their intended strength. I have a nice 10W40 Quaker State metal quart can with oil. In today's collector's market it'll bring somewhere around 5 to 10 bucks. ONE of those Conoco quart cans with oil that you have cases of recently sold on eBay for $44.00!!!
  • iceblade10iceblade10 Posts: 448Member
    Yeah... I would advise against giving them away as "freebies!"
  • hudsonsplasher1hudsonsplasher1 Posts: 726Senior Contributor
    Nice looking 37. I see it has defrost elements on the windshield. Keep us posted with pictures with your progress as you go along.
  • ValVal Posts: 758Member
    Nice looking car. Love the 37s.
  • maruefermaruefer Posts: 19Member
    My plan is just brakes, engine running, oil and lubes and a lot of cleaning, after that maybe a future owner would get this survivor in showroom condition. I’ll pass on the 1940’s oil can collection to that person. 
  • BeforemytimeBeforemytime Posts: 111Member
    Car is purrdee!
  • BigSkyBigSky Posts: 343Senior Contributor
    Pass them our to your hot rod buddies.  I’m sure they would be thrilled to have a can for Christmas, I know I would!