modern high torque starter for manual trans application

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
Has anyone been successful making one?

Comments

• Believe JasonNC has one; might search his posts.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I’ve fitted one to a 35 H8, AFAIK what I did will work through to 54, have a look through my posts. 
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    Isn't the issue of using a modern starter knocking the ring off the flywheel? My Denso based starter has a spring loaded pinion, which would at least somewhat reduce that issue.  It's also a much gentler engagement than a bendix.
  • bob ward
    The Denso starter that I used engages from front of the flywheel, but very gently. The end of the pinion sits maybe 1/16” away from the flywheel, a not very powerful solenoid within the starter pushes the pinion into the ring gear. The starter cranks only when the pinion is fully extended. To me, having the Denso starter push the ring gear off the flywheel is not an issue. 
    To make doubly sure (I’m not going to do this) it would be possible to attach ring gear keepers to the flywheel using the pressure plate bolts. 

• bob ward
    That was something that concerned me when I was contemplating a mini starter but others who had trodden the path assured me that the beveled pinion teeth and square ring gear teeth play nicely together. My experience with my set up is that it works just fine. 
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Same here on both my Hudsons...
  • pmlmbigpondcom
    pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser
    G'day All
    My 8 cyl has a honda civic high torque starter with a custom made spacer plate on the front of the starter
    Works fine
    Phil
  • bob ward
    Did that starter come with the correct pinion? 9 tooth x 28mm OD from memory?
  • pmlmbigpondcom
    pmlmbigpondcom Expert Adviser
    Bob
    I'll have to check next day or so
    Watch this space
    phil