1937 Terraplane windshield wipers

karl
karl Member
My 37 Terraplane wipers don't work at all. Linkage is good and free. Tried squirting WD 40 into inlet No luck Does anyone have a good working motor? Any home remedies? Number on unit is 8k52 or Bk52?

Comments

• Hi, if it's original condition then the motor is a vaccum operated unit - a tube from manifold runs thru the firewall and plugs into the the pipe you may be squirting liquid. The inside of the motor is similar to the gas pump using a membrane which behaves like a human heart. You can repair a unit however it would be best maybe reconnect the pipe and start the engine and check the vacuum is going from the engine thru the on/off switch or best description is a tap or forset and arrives at the wiper engine. Maybe have a look at a utube video decription of how vacuum system operated. Some people updated the unit to electrical - so bare this in mind - cheers ken
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    No, the original Trico number is SK-25.

First, make sure that the linkage is not stuck. Disconnect the linkage arms from the wiper motor by removing the spring clip (study a picture of a typical 1930's Trico set-up, to see how the clip works; you can then reach up behind the motor and remove it, "blind".)

Second, are you getting vacuum through the rubber hose, at the motor? Remove the hose from the motor and start the engine. You should feel vacuum in the hose.

Third: you may be able to make the motor work, yourself. Take the wiper motor out (2 screws; you will have to lay on your back on the floorboards and shoot a light up there to see what you're doing.) Get some neat's foot oil (leather treatment for shoes), put it in a small container, lower the motor's inlet into the container, and "suck" it into the motor by turning the motor's lever back and forth. Then let the motor sit for a couple days. Then drain the neat's foot oil, hook the motor back to the rubber hose, and start the car. Does the motor now run with renewed vigor? If not, it's time to send it to a rebuilder, like Mr. Ficken on Long Island. (Some folks have used alternate lubricants besides neat's foot oil, such as brake fluid and other products.)

There's a possibility that the motor body has warped over the years and you cannot get it rebuilt. The re-builder should tell you, if that's the case. Then you should shop for a NOS motor. In fact, start shopping now (Ebay's a good source). It may cost you as much as $100 to rebuild the motor so if you found one for $50 or $75 it would be a bargain. I think that Trico made some "replacement" motors that fit a number of cars, but I don't know the Trico number.
  • karl
    karl Member
    Thanks for help
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    I don't know if this will help you, but here it is.