clutch chatter

Hi, I just had my 1954 hornet's clutch replaced with Wildrick parts, but it has a severe chatter. I see indications that the shop which did the work may not be very competent. I'm not sure that he put the fluid in it. Is there any harm in just putting the second bottle of fluid in it without checking to see if there is any fluid already in it? Thank you. John Grivas, Monroe, Michigan

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Why not check the level first? Remove the cover, locate the plug about 4 o'clock, remove, and turn the flywheel and see if the fluid comes out.
  • Ok, I will have it done by a different shop. Thanks!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Your reason for suspecting that the shop is incompetent is merely that they didn't add Hudsonite? That could simply be an oversight. After all, Hudson clutches aren't that well known so it's possible they were ignorant that clutch compound needed to be added. The rest of their job might have been competent.

Why not check Hudsonite level (as Geoff suggests). If the clutch is empty, put in the Hudsonite and drive it around. If the clutch still chatters THEN, it's indeed possible that the shop installed Doug's parts incorrectly.

At that point I would call Doug and explain the situation to him. He may suggest one or two mistakes the shop might have made.

You could then call the shop and tell them the clutch isn't working and tell them what Doug told you (things they possibly did wrong). Certainly the clutch repair should still be under warranty at that shop, so you'd expect them to take it back and make it right.

If you walk away from that shop and go to another shop, you would lose any chance to have the first shop fix their mistake (at no charge). Wouldn't you?

• Dear Jon,
    Thanks a lot, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't really know how to proceed at this point; it didn't occur to me to ask Doug, and I certainly don't want to close out my options with the shop which did the work. I appreciate the help.
    Sincerely,
    John Grivas
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If you're not yet a member of your local H-E-T chapter you might consider joining. Especially if you're sort of new to maintaining older cars. The chapter members will have a lot of good first-hand mechanical knowledge to offer, in addition to knowing good suppliers of parts and services in your state. It's nice to have local support, if you're the only one with a Hudson for miles around!