Movie car chase, 1920's Hudson

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited August 2018 in HUDSON
Here's a movie clip that will get your heart pumping! https://youtube.com/watch?v=hRnLlVL6wnE "The Big Gamble" from 1931. I'm thinking the"good guys' pursuit car is a mid-twenties Super Six but it's hard to tell -- the resolution isn't the sharpest. This was exciting stuff for the era...EIGHTY-TWO miles per hour!

The cast includes William Boyd (who later played Hopalong Cassidy) and character actors James Gleason and Zazu Pitts, who will be familiar to most of the geezers among us who spent any time watching the tube, as kids.

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Thanks for posting.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    Nice to see an apparent Hudson in a pre-war movie other than the one converted into a truck in the 1940 movie "The Grapes of Wrath."
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    It's nice to actually SEE a Hudson in a movie made "back in the day"! We've seen plenty of Hudsons depicted in various modern-day movies of the 70's, 80's and newer (Driving Miss Daisy, Diner, and Cars come to mind, as well as a host of others). But you don't see them so much in movies "of the era". I think Hudsons promotion department was asleep at the wheel. In contrast, think of how many Nash police cars you used to see in movies (and on the Superman TV show) back in the early fifties, despite the fact that they, too, were an obscure brand. Obviously, some highly-motivated Nash-Kelvinator P.R. guy was camping out in Hollywood, keeping studios supplied with cars!
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I believe the reason why you see so many Nash police cars used in movies back in the '50's is due to the Los Angeles police department had a large Nash squad car fleet back then. Seems this trend continued into the AMC era with the L.A. police when you consider all those Matadors used in the old TV series, Adam 12.