54 Hudson Radiator cooling improvement

Hi,
I have seen a few post with cars having scoops (basically a lip) added under the front at the bottom of the radiator to help force air through the radiator ?
Is it better to do this or close off the gap at the base of the radiator so that air going through the grill does not leak out the bottom in front of the radiator ?
Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

Comments

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited August 2018
    Andrew, you might have been referring to several of these photos. Anyway, if you are NOT building for concours, almost anything to improve cooling efficiency on these beasts should be done. Seems to me that if you force air with scoops thru this gap into the radiator, you have prevented the loss of the air that would have gone out the gap and added more 'forced' air for the radiator; a double-double. AND, close up any 'bypass': top {already done}-bottom-sides. Especially if running A/C. But, alas, most the problems would most likely come when idling and the above scoops, tape, etc. can't solve an idling heat problem !!
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pZfDhYyfPB6t7XeN9
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    As you all know, I just finished the restoration on my 54 Hudson Hornet Special coupe. With the goodies that I added to the engine--for performance, I will never need, I had Dr. Doug recore my original radiator. In doing so he added an additional core. My car runs cool in hot and normal temperatures. Today, at the end of a 100 mile drive, the radiator measured 169 degrees. But, then again, it was only 80 outside. Just thought I would pass this on for discussion sake,.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Cooling will improve when all air flow must pass thru the radiator and not over, around, or below. A Fan shroud helps too but it must not totally enclose the fan..
  • Thanks ... all very helpful. I will start fabricating and closing up the air gaps.
  • I suggest Gorilla Tape if taping bypass openings. Sticks much better than Duck Tape
  • I saw a electric fan mounted on the front of the radiator to push air through on a 53 Belair, Stove bolt - 6. The driver has a switch in the cabin he just manually switches on in heavy traffic or during parades etc. Says it helps keep things cool. Anyone tried this on a step-down?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser

Extract from our South Texas newsletter