Starter & Generator Restoration

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
edited August 2018 in HUDSON
When I pulled the starter & generator off 6-9 months ago both were working fine.  Now that I am working hard to get my coupe running & back on the road after 15 years of sitting idol, I need to cosmetically restore these two items before they are re-installed.  

Not having done this before to the starter & generator what recommendations might you give me on this?  Also, the tags on these pieces, can they be restored?

Here are some pictures of 1) what I started with, 2) current state of the engine cosmetics, 3) starter & generator 4) the Coupe.

Comments

• Looking ace.

For Decals try:
    http://www.wrphet.com/decals---misc.html

As for the other bits. Best way is to pull apart sandblast in a small blast cabinet or wire wheel. then powder coat or paint them.

if pulling apart is to tricky or you dont want to risk stuffing anything on a working part then get the brake cleaner out and carefully clean it all up. then tape up anything that wouldn't want gunk/paint on it or in it. sand or carefully wire wheel.

Generator will be harder as you dont want gunk in it. I would put a screw in that hole on top. Also if you have a pulley puller pull the pulley and the cooling fan part of it and do those separate.
    Cardboard tube (from toilet roll etc) or an old sock can cover the starter drive once cleaned up to protect.

Dont forget to tape threads before painting.
  • Courtesy Man
    Courtesy Man Expert Adviser
    I just happen to have a rebuilt restored generator for a 1937 Terraplane - is this something you could use ? Gert Kristiansen