running board rubber

can any one tell me what I can use to install the rubber on my 41 Hudson running boards. I tried spray adhesive and it did not hold.

Comments

• Val
    Val Member
    Give Doug WIldrick a call. give you the advice you need. They install them and he can give you the advice you looking for.  http://wildrickrestorations.com/
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Best to use one of the urethane adhesives, they stick like sh*t to just about anything and remain slightly flexible. Make sure you have removed all the release agent etc from the underside of the mat, they are called release agents for good reason. 
  • 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    The side to be glued needs to be scuffed with steel wool to remove gloss and to promote the glue to grip.
  • what if I have old glune on them how do I get it off both rubber  & metal?
  • bob ward
    A spray on adhesive should come off with acetone. Be careful, acetone is aggressive (and highly flammable), try small areas first. You most probably won't have a problem with the acetone attacking the mat but the paint on the running boards could be a different matter.
  • I tryed acetone but it did not work all it did was make it sticky. I got it off the metal using a propane torch then a wire brush it had no paint on it. I even tryed goo off it did not work either. 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Tenbroeck... the bottom side of the running board covers are not visible once installed.  So, why not take a cup brush affixed to a grinder and carefully skim off the hardened glue?
  • I tried using a wire brush it gets warm and sticks to the brush plus the glue on the rubber gets sticky also. I also tryed pads on a air gun they do the same. anything that causes friction cause heat and glue gets sticky.  
  • bob ward
    That’s interesting that acetone didn’t work. What other solvents have you used and what were the results?
  • We used to use MEK. That dissolves rubber ,rubber glue and anything any residual goo. As for adhering it to steel, see if you can get some Thixon. Great stuff. May need to be activated by heat. We used it when making rubber rollers.
  • amc360
    amc360 Senior Contributor
    I just did this a few months ago.  I used Gun Wash for cleaning paint guns, and a lot of scrubbing.  For glue I just used a contact cement.