Hostetler Auction

jjbubaboy
jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
Looks like the auction was a huge success!
Nothing I could have afforded......
J
http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com/members/auction_results.cfm

Comments

• railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    edited August 2018
    Amazing what the Herb Thomas '52 Hornet stock car sold for.  I understand it was his actual racing car.   Wonder if that's a record high bid for any Hudson!!!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    was not an actual racer, but a very well done "tribute" car
  • SuperDave
    Wow Hudson gets the attention it long deserves
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Dave,
    Fairly certain that was the actual car driven by Herb Thomas in 52-53. No way it would sell for $1.2 million otherwise. There was also a tribute racer that sold for $165000. Still crazy money though.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Well I wonder if the city of Shipshawana gets all the money or does some flow back to the Hostetlers?  Frankly, the city could have sold a few cars and worked on improving the marketing of the museum.  This was a great asset the city screwed up.  I will not be going back any time soon, nothing for me to see there.
  • looks like everything sold - the prices looked strong to me - hitting $1M+ for a collector car is not an easy thing to do! hopefully, this auction will get detailed coverage in sports car market magazine
  • SuperDave
    edited August 2018
    Amazing what the Herb Thomas '52 Hornet stock car sold for.  I understand it was his actual racing car.   Wonder if that's a record high bid for any Hudson!!!

I stand corrected. I would have sworn i read a story many years ago, about how the car had been created . I guess my memory isn't what it used to be.. But I do remember seeing that car race in N.C. back in the day. I guess that dates me? LOL
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    A '36 Terraplane $88,000 that is a lot. Surely most of these prices achieved are new high water marks.
  • A '36 Terraplane $88,000 that is a lot. Surely most of these prices achieved are new high water marks.
    i don't know this market well enough, but that's what i think - cars from the 30's to early 50's (except blue chip models) have taken a big dive in the last 5 years, as owners and buyers diminish in numbers - i.e., you can now buy a nice cord 810/812 sedan in the $40k's - nice to see the HET's doing well!
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Dan, I looked into the financials and learned that since the cars were 501(3)(c) items, the proceeds have to go to the city and used for things that will benefit the citizens.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Too bad really, Shipshawana sure does not deserve it, just another tourist trap along the road.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Well, the cars were a gift to the city by the Hostetlers, so it seems fair that the auction proceeds stay with the city.  One unfortunate thing was the failure to market the museum better than it was.