Front Springs

Hi,

I am going to go through the front suspension and rebuild steering and suspension bushings etc. Does anyone have any experience of changing the front springs to the heavier duty springs ? looks like 2 type are available, a std spring and a heavy duty stiffer spring ? Any feedback from people who have tried the stiffer springs would be appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

Comments

• What year and model car are you asking about?
  • hi - i recently spoke to Mark at the following link - he seemed to know his stuff regarding springs! i would give him a call - www.shocks2springs.com - hope this helps!
  • Car is a 54 wasp club coupe (2 door fastback), with a 7x 308 in it. I saw the Eaton springs and that they offer options for ride and stiff ness and just wanted to see what improvement the stiffer fronts make on the car. 
  • A heavy duty sway bar would probably be more of an upgrade than stiffer springs...
  • A heavy duty sway bar would probably be more of an upgrade than stiffer springs...
    agree +1!
  • thanks for the feedback. what diameter sway bar would be a good upgrade ?
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Call Dale Cooper, he has new ones.
    http://hudsonmotorcarco.com/parts.htm

• Doctorvaux
    Doctorvaux Member
    edited August 2018
    Interesting, I am also rebuilding the front suspension on my 48 Super Six 2 door coupe
    and I am wondering what to do about the front springs.  I already have an upgraded
    sway bar to fit  (from Dale Cooper).

I have been looking at the Eaton web site. They offer standard and heavy duty springs
    and they also offer reduced or increased ride heights springs. I noticed that it appears
    there was a change to stiffer springs part way through 1952.  It seems that all 6 cylinder
    models (super 6, commodore and Hornet) had the same springs in a given year.

48 - 52 Eaton Part numbers
    Standard MC1796
    Heavy duty  MC542

52- 54 Eaton Part numbers
    Standard MC542
    Heavy Duty MC3512

Van anyone comment if Hudson made a change to stiffer front springs during 1952 ?

Has anyone any experience with either fitting heavy duty, or reduced ride height front springs.
    I would be very interested to hear some direct experience regarding what difference it made. Did it make any improvements or if it made the ride too harsh.

Many thanks for any help or advice.

• I am going to try the sway heavy duty sway bar and see what difference that makes and then think about spring change.
  • Fitted the heavy duty sway bar and made a big difference to the car and how it handles. Great advice from everyone - Thanks.