REAR AXLE/RATIO CHANGE

Hello fellow Hudson owners,

I am thinking about changing the rear end in my 51 Hornet. I had problems with the 4.88 gears that came in it, replaced it with a 4:10. It was like night and day! I think I would like to go to 3:55 but have not found gears for Hudson drop-in. I think I need to find a Dana 44 out of a 52 or newer Hudson. Is there a better set up? This is a 3 speed overdrive car.

Thanks!

Tommy

Comments

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Tommy, you may want to consider a 3:58 that was built by Hudson and is in fact able to drop in a Hudson built rear end from 48-51 (some early 52's as well). It was only available for one year-1951- for the first Hudson hydramatics. After that Hudson switched to the 3:07 Dana/Spicer for their hydramatics from 52 on.   Dana 44's work great but you may want  to switch the U bolts on the rear end as well since they are slightly different in size.   704 792 911 zero if interested.
  • 51HH7A
    51HH7A Member
    How hard are they to find? That would be the best way, nothing wrong with a Hudson drop-in.
  • allan
    allan Member
    Tommy, do you have overdrive installed in the car.  Those 3:58 gears are around if you are patient.  I found one to put in my 52 behind the overdrive - what a road car now!
  • 51HH7A
    51HH7A Member

Hi Allen, yes my car is a factory over drive, when I put the 4:10 in it, it was great but I think it still needs a bit more. Thanks for the info, I will look around.

Thanks!  Tommy.

• Lance
    Lance Member
    51HH7A, I have the 3;58, 4:10 & 4:55 from Hudson built rear ends and the 3:07 and 4:10 Dana/Spicer if you are interested.
  • Lance

Please PM me. I am interested in a 4:10 Hudson ring& pinion or pumpkin for my 1951 Super 6.

Thanks,

Chris
  • 51HH7A
    51HH7A Member

Hi Lance, I am interested in the 3:58, what do you need for it? I have a complete 4:55 drop in with bad spiders. The 4:10 is also complete drop in in great shape and currently in my car. Let me know.

Thanks, Tommy.

• Lance
    Lance Member
    Tommy, Call me on Monday. 704 792 911zero