Radiator additives

railknight
railknight Expert Adviser
edited July 2018 in HUDSON
I recently had the 262 engine rebuilt for my '53 Super Wasp by "Dr. Doug" and this also included replacing the radiator.  I'd like to add to the coolant system a radiator additive in order to get the whole cooling system off to a good start.  Looking for an anti-corrosion additive and water pump lubricant (actually, a pump seal protector).  So far I checked NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Wal Mart, etc., and haven't found anything other than things like "Water Wetter" (which apparently also provides water pump seal protection).  Any suggestions and where to buy it?  Thanks for your response!  Dan  

Comments

• With just a couple of mouse clicks, you could order something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-ROY01600-PURPLE-COOLANT/dp/B000BRGAJ2
  • Yu didnt list one of the best auto shops online Summit.
    They will beat any price you find online for the same product as well. Have used the VP additive along with water wetter in a few cars. both worked well although the cooling system worked well anyways. the VP Raceing one also lub's etc.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/coolant-additives?ibanner=SREPD1
  • BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    Last year I boiled out (& repairing) my radiator after shoving a screw driver thru it by accident.  So after it was all back together I used Bar’s Leaks brand, “ cooling system water pump lube with anti-rust.  
    It says, “it protects aluminum, copper, iron and all other parts of the cooling system. Contains water pump seal and thermostat lubricant and is compatible with all brands of anti-freeze.”

I believe I bought it thru Amazon. 
  • railknight
    Thanks for the suggestions!  Looks like the only way to purchase what use to be readily available at most auto parts stores, water pump lubricant with corrosion protection (a white, milky fluid), is now only available online.  
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Yes railknight I know what you mean. Prestone used to make a good one....
    I have had no problems with one called 'no rosion'. Its only available on line though and now you have to buy a 4 pack minimum and shipping too.

Jeff
  • We use norosion in all of our fresh builds. It is a bit pricey, but definitely worth the cost. 

• Norosion also has a flush to use with existing systems.
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Years ago after having radiator issues I was recommended by an HET member who was a longtime radiator business person to only use soluble oil. An egg cup full is enough each service. I  have done this ever since without further issues.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited July 2018
    Walt recommended that years ago; have used about 3 oz since then. That is Cutting Oil.
    Also use Purple Ice surface tension reducer, later product  than Water Wetter.
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    All good info.   I would lean always to water soluable oil.   I’ve heard stuff like water wetter will gum up if not run on a regular basis.  I’m going to read up on norosion but looking at replies it looks like a good product.  
  • railknight
    Finally settled on using an automotive radiator product named "Hy-per Lube" (NEW and improved).  Seems to be another "Water Wetter" and claims to reduce engine temperature, provides maximum corrosion protection for "ALL metals" and protects water pump seals.

Dan