37 Terraplane VIN location

So I have an opportunity with a very solid complete 37 Terraplane truck.  It has been been converted to flatbed many years back.  The engine has been swapped for a slightly newer Hudson flat 6.  This truck was purchased 30 some years ago, driven into a huge shed with concrete floors and never moved again.  Unfortunately the title was never found and the seller passed away some years ago.  Thus I need to see if we can make it legal before we jump into any anything.  I haven't found a VIN just yet.  Where should I look?  It also has some ancient antique plate I wonder if that could be traced.

My blasphemous thoughts are a Ford 300 6 with a C6 and modern differential as well.  I just feel like trying to get all those old components road worthy is just not worth the effort.  Thoughts?   Thank You

Comments

• Val
    Val Member
    Try passenger door post. A pillar. That is where it is on my 39 passenger car. Maybe a 37 owner will jump in if it is in a different location. Trucks I am not sure about but they may be the same.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If the rear axle housing's original, check the passenger side, top, for a stamped-in number.  Should start with the digit "7".  Next, check the outer frame rail, passenger's side, in the area where the front axle passes beneath.  I think it's either stamped on the top of the rail or the side.

As to engine: well, in terms of power and availability of parts, a modern engine can't be beat.  And lots of pre-war owners look for differentials with a more highway-friendly gearset.  But as soon as you start replacing major components you're getting away from the whole original "package", into the world of the pretend.  Are you planning to use this as an everyday driver, and need to have it perform like a modern car?  If not, the original 212 engine should serve you well for most occasional uses.  And parts are still available, though you should probably join the Club to connect with parts stashes and fellow owners.

But I'm biased -- been driving a '37 with its original engine for 45 years and still alive to tell the tale.

Most important question: how tall are you?  Have you sat in the front seat of this vehicle?  Do you expect to sit there for long trips?
  • Thanks for the info.  I'll see what I can find.  I flooded the cylinders with Kroil a while back.  Some of the issues which concern me are sitting for 30 years and the truck was exposed to some level of flooding about 8 years ago.  not sure what got wet.  I think it would be foolish to try and start it as is.  I think a minimum of pull the pan and the head and see what is happening inside.  Rebuild the carb and freshen up the ignition.  Do these motors have poured bearings?  Is there any part I cannot get for the engine oil pump, water pump, pistons, cam, etc?  Also concerned about the clutch/gearbox and brakes.  I am sure the brakes will all need work.
    What about steering components?  As far as originality, it already has a newer motor and a flatbed.  Yes I would like to drive it a few hundred miles and also fit Vintage air.  The owner is like 83 and he would really like an automatic and A/C although he is a tough old bird and can drive anything anywhere.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Not sure what year the newer Hudson engine (in the car) is, but if it's a newer version of the "3x5", the distributor may be on top at the back, which would have necessitated cutting a clearance hole in the firewall.

Good idea to pull the pan and get the muck out.  New gasket sets are available.  If this is a splasher engine, don't forget to replace the rubber o-ring where the oil return tube (on flange of pan) meets the underside of the block.  And don't fail to fill the dipper trays with oil when replacing.

Yes, poured bearings.  Oil pumps rarely break, and there is no oil pressure as such, since they only pump oil to the upper dipper tray.  Water pumps are available rebuilt.  I think Egge makes pistons.  A NOS camshaft will be difficult to find; I'm still soldiering on with my original one (I think!).  Brake parts should be relatively easy to get; I got new wheel cylinders at Carquest a couple years ago.  In many cases NOS parts are available at Hudson flea markets, especially when the guys who originally squirreled them away, pass on.  "Parts" is what the H-E-T network is all about.

It's probably worth it just to see if the old engine will fire up, before making a decision on which engine to use for the car.  But you probably won't want to throw a lot of money at it if you're doubtful of using it. For heaven's sake don't throw away any components you don't use; there is a market for that stuff.
  • I'll second checking the passenger side pillar for the VIN number. My '38 Terraplane has it there.