Tap & Die Set or Thread Restoring Set

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor
Does one need both or really just one?  As I was working on the 37 Coupe’s intake & exhaust manifolds this morning, I realized I really need at least something to chase threads with as I work on this & other cars.  Doing some research lead me to the thread restoring tool which seems pretty similar to a traditional tap & die set.

If if you have thoughts, please share & if you have a recommendation of brand, number or range in a set I’d typically want, that would also be very helpful!

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    You are correct in your conclusion.  Might be better off renting the tools vs buying as very few in a set are used by hobby car owners. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    You can make your own thread restorer by getting a long  grade 8  bolt and grinding grooves longitudinally with a fine cutting disc.  This just cleans the threads out without cutting any material, like a tap would 
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    Summit racing has some cheaper thread restorer set.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pow-pow351675

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I've always used taps to clean out threaded holes without any any ill effects, used taps from the flea market will be OK for thread cleaning. For Hudson work 1/4" to 1/2" taps in fine and coarse threads will get you most places. 
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    The taps and die nuts reqd are UNC. Whitworth taps may have the same threads per inch but have a different pitch angle. A few of the 1/2" studs on my motor had a centre pop mark on the top. I found out too late that someone had replaced the original studs with Whitworth studs, one of the few diameters that have different TPI to UNC.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    My tap and die set is one of the most used tools I have. Dont cheap out when buying a set.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    That's neat Kerry. My most used tool is the Brass B.F.H.. That maybe why my hacking doesn't match your craftsmanship.  LOL
  • BigSky
    I went ahead & bought:

Kastar 971 SAE and Metric Thread Restorer Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QHQEPE/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hopefully it will fill my needs & be a quality set, it wasn’t cheap!
  • BigSky
    Thread restorer kit arrived & I have to say I like it way more than using a tap/die set to clean the threads.  Another one of those tools that I’m wondering how I lived without this long!
  • allan
    allan Member
    I use both frequently.  While a tap and die set will get the job done, the rethreader set I have goes right in a ratchet socket and is really quick and painless to use. 
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

I like having 'both' sets - one for chasing threads, as well as a tap & die set - very useful.

Also, of note:  Your link indicates an Amazon purchase (?).

I refuse to 'buy into' an Amazon Prime membership.  From personal observation, Amazon delays processing orders on those that do not have an 'Amazon Prime' account.  IMO - They intentionally impose this 'delay' in processing', as a form of 'punishment' for not opting-in to the Amazon Prime service, and as an incentive to 'opt in'.  When called about processing/shipping delays, they not so tactfully indicate that if you want better service, you need to opt-into their Amazon Prime service, i.e., 'tough'!

If I can find ANY item elsewhere, I will NOT purchase anything from Amazon. - they are not the only game in town...

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Hey BigSky,
    wondering if you have used the chasing threader yet and how you like it?
    Does it seem to work well, and get more than 1 use out of each one?
    Thanks,
    J
  • BigSky
    Yes, I have used it a couple times now & it is outstanding how nice of a job it does.   I used some cutting fluid with the chasers to prolong their life & make it easier cleaning the treads.  

I’m sure I will get decades of use out of these chasers as they appear to be of good quality.  I also like that they have different colors for coarse (silver), fine (black) & metric (gold) and come in a nice plastic case which holds them firmly in place.   While this won’t take the place of a tap & die set, it also won’t re-cut the existing threads & leave a loose thread to thread situation.   

After using them then I gave them a blast of brake cleaner to get all the crud off & then a squirt of Kroil to protect them til next time.  I’m sure one doesn’t need this large kit & I’d seen the SAE & Metric sold separately but I wanted a good case to secure them with, which is exactly what I received.