Hydramatic trans

duncan
duncan Expert Adviser
Is there much difference between a 1952 dual range hydrmatic and a 1954 dual range hydramatic trans.  Ray from Canada

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor

I don't think any difference...

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks ol racer I was having trouble with our 54 Hornet dual range hydramatic shifting from 2-3 and 3-4 it would shift then seems like it goes to neutral but once shifted worked good seems like the hotter the oil was the better it shifted the tranny shop said my tranny was no good.  Ray
  • Put some Sea Foam in it. It works wonders. Really!! After a month, replace transmission fluid and add 1/3 of a can.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Ray, Sounds like something is sticking in the valve body. Maybe Seafoam will work but If the fluid is real old suggest remove the pan then clean the filter and refill with fresh fluid.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Hudson made several references to stuck valves and the need to kerp
    the fluid clean via filter and changes. 
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited July 2018
    Use Sea Foam and then do the 11? qt change. Just run thru the gears even if car is sitting still in garage. The more you are able to rotate the tranny, the more success you will have. I speak from experience about this. The fluid will come out very dark, even black.
    Cheaper to try than do a $1800. rebuild now as the trans shop would love to do.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    My tranny was wore out needs new clutches different cone one gear set with splines on inside was half wore out .I dont know the shape of bands. I found a tranny from a Hudson friend a 52 H hopefully it will have the parts we need.  Ray from Canada
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    HET member

AutoTran

Vintage Automatic Transmission Parts

1946 to the mid 60's and later

David Edwards
    56 Dale Street, Dept. A
    Needham Heights, MA 02494-1218

Phone: 1-781-449-2065 

• I have 2 hydramatic transmissions, one is a '53 one is a '52.  FREE FOR THE TAKING
    will load on your truck.  located in Western Massachusetts, zip  01354  413 427 4871
  • Could I add a tablespoon or so of seafoam as preventative maintenance?  Or is it only used to flush out deposits?
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    D7 fever  Thanks for the offer but I live in Alberta Canada.To far for me.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Our friend that is helping us pay to rebuild our tranny just phoned and he said the tranny that I brought is 90 % excellent so they will take the parts out of it and rebuild my tranny because our tranny is a 54 tranny.  Ray  Thanks