WTB: Blower Fan/Squirrel Cage for '53 Hornet - FOUND

Hudson_in_Seattle
edited July 2018 in Parts & Pieces
hey guys - i trouble shot my blower fan and the motor is not working - my hornet has a 12v conversion - it looks like this is the original 6v motor - i would like to get a 12v replacement, or a working 6v, that i will put a resistor on - also, which fuse is used inline for this motor (mine is missing)? - thanks, for looking!

Thanks to this board, the motor problem is solved, now i'm looking for a spare fan/squirrel cage assembly, as mine is hanging on, no matter what - thanks again

Comments

• Hi, I forgot to get back to you on the 12 volt blower motor. I just saw on the other forum that the part #’s were posted. I’ll check tomorrow morning for the one I used.  I did have to cut the mounting bolts and maybe the shaft, it’s been awhile. But it was very easy with my little whizzed air powered cut off.  Ed
  • thanks again - i followed up on those part #'s - i couldn't remove the fan from the motor after removing the worm screw that i thought held it on the shaft - i don't want to bend the fan blades pulling this off - i tried to loosen the mounting nuts and bolts, but that didn't seem to work, so i stopped to ask for more advice - thanks!
  • I don’t have it here to look at. But I think I took out the set screw and held it by the fan and gave the shaft a tap with a small hammer while holding it off the  bench a couple of inches so it could drop.
  • thanks - i put some penetrating oil in the set screw hole - it's not coming off - i'm going to wait till tomorrow to see if it loosens up - i think i need a vice for the motor base, then a longer screw into the set screw hole, and then carefully work it off from there - the fan blades bend easily - thanks again
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited July 2018
    Got this info from Ken U, you can find these on ebay and other places.  It was a drop in for me:  VDO or Murray PM354, or Everco / 4 Seasons 35776.  I would not recommend the resistor as it gets wicked hot and does not run at the full speed.  Once you get the screws loose I did what 29P recommended a couple of sharp whacks knocked the fan loose.
  • Hudson in Seattle, don’t put it in a vise. Put two fingers under the center of the fan center.  Hold it up and hit the center of the shaft. The weight of the motor will drop it out and not bend the fan blades.
  • thanks - it's not coming out, no matter what i do - i keep stopping because of the blades - i am going to take this to a "pro" tomorrow, if he has time - he will probably solve this in a few seconds and show me what i was doing wrong - the replacement vdo/pm354 fan looks like a great fit - what size fuse would you use? where would you attach the ground wire? i think i may need a spare squirrel cage/fan assembly - thanks again
  • What replacement fan? You should be just replacing the fan motor. The mounting studs will need to be cut down to clear the fan.  Hook the ground wire to the box unit there should be hole where the ground wire goes with a wheel metal screw.  The shaft may also have to be cut . 
  • the fan won't come off the shaft
  • ok - i just returned from the mechanic - as predicted, he removed the fan from the shaft in seconds - my misconception was that the center of the fan blade was closed (everything is black) - i didn't know that the shaft was accessible from the top - now for the reinstall - thanks again
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Glad you had success ??