Looking for some Help on a Rear axle leak

I was looking for some help form a member who may have worked on such a problem. I have leakage on the backside
of the hub on my rear axle apparently a axle seal. Now is this seal a inner or outer this is on a 1941 Hudson In My manual
it looks like there is only one seal correct me on this and if there is 2 where can I purchase them as so far I have only seen a inner seal available.

Thanks Again Bernie

Comments

• There should be a seal on the outside bearing retainer, at least there is on a '42. I  got my new ones from Wildricks.  However, there might be a number on your old one and might find one at your local auto parts store.  Good luck
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It's no use replacing the outer seal only, as if the inner seal is leaking  it's only a matter time before the outer seal gets overwhelmed.   Replace both at the same time.   The outer seal only keeps grease in, the inner one stops oil from the diff getting into  the  bearing .
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Seals, Rear Wheel Outer
    Victor
    36-54 x Jet
    NAPA
    CR 17310
    RWOuter
    1.75ID
    2.437OD
    .250Thick
  • Thanks So I take it there is a inner and outer seal I have know problem buying them but it seems I can only but the outer. I have been on the different Hudson sites and for some reason they only offer the outer. Would you have any idea where I can purchase both as I live in Ontario Canada. I am not going to get them here. I figured that if there were 2 seals it would be best to replace them both at the same time. so if anyone knows where I can buy both of them I would be some Happy to say the least.

Bernie Pembroke Ontario

Thanks to All for your Help
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    The outer seal is an off the shelf general purpose seal available from any bearing and seal supplier. The inner seal is a Hudson special with a stepped OD used from 36 to 51/52 and is long out of production, someone on here may have originals but be careful that the felt or leather hasn't dried out and shrunk. There is a work around of fitting a carrier into the axle and fitting an off the shelf seal into the carrier.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    A standard seal can be used on the inner, it just fits closer to the bearing.  
  • bob ward
    I had look at using a standard seal for the inner, the only ones I could find were I think 3/8" thick which put the back of the seal worryingly close to the bearing, a seal 1/16" thinner would have been fine.
  • Thanks to all for your Help but I am still a little confused as to there being  a inner and outer axle seal.
    I looked up on page 311 in the Hudson group parts book for 1941 and it states that there were 2 only drive shaft oil seals number f-156756 they called it drive shaft oil seal assembly. now is this why perhaps kanter auto products has only a outer axle seal for sale and states that no inner available. the axle diagram form the Hudson book shows the assembly as b6-6 and 2 per car.  Thanks Bernie
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There are definitely inner seals, and these must be replaced.  If you look at the 1948-54 Master parts list, Page 10 you will see the inner seal listed as B6-6, part no. 166244.   This is the same part as earlier rear ends.   You can use a thin flat seal, and it sits closer to the bearing which is no big deal.
  • bob ward
    This axle assembly drawing shows the 2 seals, item 33 is the hard to find inner seal, item 35 is the dead common outer seal.
  • Thanks so much Ken,

So That is Great by chance do these folks make a outer seal as well for my 41.
     if so I could order both of them from this place.

Thanks so much Bernie